Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    JasonCarr

I have a customer that has asked for a quote on a custom wall in shower pan in soild surface and wants  the panels and window sills trimmed in the same color.  my question is  how cost effective is it to build the pan yourself and figuring  the pitch for the drain vs  having a place like griform build it for me and have it shipped?
    I’m a part timer( fire department is the full time gig) with a small shop at the moment and  not exactly backed up with jobs. Is it worth taking the profit from the extra work or is it simplier just to sub that part of the job out and not have to worry about it if cracks or doesn’t drain properly???

JasonCarr

the tub is a  angled jobby job and its 34 inches on the left hand side 60 inches  on the main wall and the right hand wall is 60 inches as well.

Jon Olson

Jason ,From my experience its better to use a sub. Unless you plan to market your pan and make more than one.  Ask yourself is it worth it if my pan cracks and I need to pay for the water damage?

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Buy one.

I would do a practice unit first before doing one for a customer just to test it.

Grifform has there units tested by some lab to be certified…if I recall correctly.

People are big and heavy nowadays and water can and will ruin everything. Be safe and buy one from a person that has made a bunch.

I think there is a company further east than Grifform that makes pans. Do a Google search on solid surface shower pans.

Len Smith

Even if you buy one from a sub, don’t expect much support if there are problems. I bought several from the largest seller of solid surface shower floors, and when we experienced a crack, they replied that it was an installation problem. Their proof of the opinion that it was installer error was the fact that it cracked.

“In other words, we make stuff that doesn’t crack. If it does crack, it’s not our problem, it’s yours.”

I won’t be buying another pan from them.

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Good to know. A crack in the pan would be a major catastrophe.

JasonCarr

The customer wants to do a true custom oddball shaped walk in shower. They also live in a city where the water leaves a odd red film and they want something that’s easier to clean. I think what im going to suggest to the customer is a tiled shower with a liner and using 4×4 tiles of white and the color they have chosen for the countertops and trim in a checker board or subway type pattern:….. you guys have any other ideas?

Norm Walters

You could use a fiberglass shower pan, or tell them to get a whole house filter to get rid of the red stuff. If you are going to tile you can use epoxy grout, it’s really not that bad to work with nowadays.

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Solid Surface is the ultimate material for use in a shower. That is what I would use. Having a custom made pan is not that difficult to purchase.

Norm Walters

Solid surface is a little bland looking in a shower, now if Gene had a CNC that would be interesting.

JasonCarr

well what I proposed tot he customer was to do the countertop color for the shower seat trim, and checkerboard the floor with white and the livingstone color they picked to liven things up and do something a little different. They haven’t decided on anything final other than they want a glass block wall to give this shower a little privacy…

Norm..I do have a CNC..his name is Simon…..but I never will buy a cnc..too many of my friends got one…cheaper for me to bring them template and material then pick up….I dont sell that much to even justify a CNC

Norm Walters

Gene, I am just imagining some really cool inlays on shower wall panels, but you are right, Simon with a router could probably get er done.

Norm Walters

Posted By JasonCarr on 10 Sep 2012 06:55 PM
    well what I proposed tot he customer was to do the countertop color for the shower seat trim, and checkerboard the floor with white and the livingstone color they picked to liven things up and do something a little different. They haven’t decided on anything final other than they want a glass block wall to give this shower a little privacy…

Jason, if you are going to use solid surface for the seat trim, put it in after the tile is grouted, in other words don’t grout it in, the grout will crack all to hell. Overhang the bullnose tile at the edge of the seat so that the solid surface piece with fit underneath it.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.