Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Anyone use corrugated plastic to space countertops? I have seen it at a trade show but can’t remember what the name of the material.

I would like to try on a few jobs we do to save weight and cost.
    Thanks in advance,
    Andy
    Sue Turner

Andy are you talking about Templast?  We used it for making templets.  We got it from the suppliers of Dovae SS.  It looks like corrugated cardboard only a white opaque color.

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Maybe, but it was extremely rigid. You could stand on it without it compressing. I’ll check that out and see.

Thanks

Matt Kraft

Andy,

That corrugated material should be available in multiple thicknesses. We make digital templates exclusively for our kitchen dept and have for some time, but we still buy some of the 4mm corrugated plastic in 4′ x 8′ sheets for our cultured marble dept. Even if we make a digital template for that dept, I’ll cut them a physical template.

We buy it from a sign supply company. I’d check with them. Same guys that sell acrylic sheeting and the like. I’ve seen some of the stuff that is like 5/8″ or 3/4″ thick, they can probably get it for you.

Matt

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Do you think it is rigid enough to support a countertop?

Matt Kraft

Andy,

You could park cars on that stuff at the proper thickness.
    But the cost goes up exponentially if I recall.
    Matt
    Andy Graves
    Keymaster

I’ll check it out.

Norm Walters

templast is different than something like a honeycomb. there are a few companies that manufacture the stuff using different plastics and other materials and colors. I have used some that was clear for doing backlight work.

Tom M

There used to be a product made by a company called the Norfield Corporation. It was called Norcore. 1/8″ flat plastic extruded to 3/4″ thick. They had other sizes available as well. It was used as a lightweight substrate for trains, planes, etc. MDF board was at the outside edges, which was all held together with contact cement on backing sheet. We covered it in laminate and postformed the front edge.

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

The stuff I remember seeing was in the solid surface magazine but I can’t find it for the life of me, I even had a box of samples and I threw those away during a cleaning session.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.