Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Wayne

Gents,
    We’re going to start a Corian “sun” countertop job and were wondering if we’re dealing with any sanding or seaming issues before we start.  Any input would be appreciated.
    …Wayne.

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Don’t use the Corian adhesive. Integra has a better match.

Bill Wolle

If I remember correctly, Sun is the bright yellow one? If so, they were notorious a few years ago for “white line seams”. Usually and easily prevented by a VERY sharp or new bit for seams. It acted like a dull or less than new bit bruised the material and the seams showed up white no matter how good the adhesive match.

Wayne

Thanks for the tip Andy, but were already into it with Corian’s and you’re right…shoulda gone with Integra, they’re already having fits in the shop with the Corian adhesive.

Bill, we’re using nothing but sharp bits on this one thank you, no white lines (yet).
    Good to hear from ya Bill…Wayne Carlson.

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

You can also polish the edge to be seamed. Basically sand up to 400 grit and this will help a little.

The lines look like absolute crap and cutting to insert a piece is not an option because you are left with two lines instead of one.

Tom M

Bill!
    Nice to hear from you.

Wayne

Installed at a toy store, all turned out great with no visible seams.  The sun actually turned out easier to fab than originally thought.

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Nice job. Don’t you love the way tops look in pictures?

Wayne

Pix do make tops look good, but the yellow really “jumped’ after Dani’s “Perfect Finish”.  This is a rather crappy shot in the shop before delivery (sorry for the screwy angle)…Wayne.

Bill Wolle

Really nice Wayne!

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

We use Perfect finish all the time. Makes tops even.

What was the final sandpaper you used?

Steve , NY

Andy,  Wayne, when you use Perfect Finish do you keep it wet or do you apply it and then polish till it dries.

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

I keep it wet so it doesn’t create such a high shine. I believe most of our customers like satin better than the gloss.

Going until dry does make it shine and will typically eliminate the need to polish with rubbing compound and a polisher.

Wayne

Our sanding was 240, 320, 400, 600, then white scotch bright with Dani’s final finish…wet, stopped when dried.
    It turned out as a strong satin, definitely not gloss (even though the pix look so).

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

I would bet that most customers would call that a polish or gloss finish. It doesn’t look like a mirror finish but that doesn’t seem necessary.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.