Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Steve Mehan

Were working on a project right now that is a residential remodel. The current countertops are tile over 3/4″ ply. The cabinetry itself was bulit onsite many many years ago and structurally is incorporated into the countertop meaning all the drawer slides are attached to the top.
    The current top is in great shape, no cracked tiles or grout, and I dont really care to remove it, the customer doesnt want it removed because additional cost and possable cabinet issues.

My thoughts are to make the top and set it onto the current top with a drop edge to cover the the current top. We have in the past done this on a few other commercail jobs only covered laminate tops and didnt use seam straps. Corian implies this can be done for commercial only.

Any thoughts?

Jon Olson
    Steve as long as the
    tiles are adhered good I don’t see any problems. At times we have done full
    backsplash  over tiles .
    Steve Mehan

Posted By Jon Olson on 08 Jan 2013 08:50 AM

Steve as long as the tiles are adhered good I don’t see any problems. At times we have done full backsplash  over tiles .

Jon,
    You dont see any problems with this type of install or it being OK not to use a seam strap being the seam would be supported by the current top or both?

Steve

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

This can be done. Obviously it is not the best but it will work. Just make sure the tiles are solid.

You could cut out a few tiles where the seam is located and use a 1/4″ thick seam support.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.