Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Jim Gillen

We are noticing Corian Black and other darker Corian adhesives are taking longer to dry.  We’ve checked with dates and glue is fresh?  Anyone having same issue?

Yes, as well as the viscosity within the tube is inconsistent.  In fact, sometimes on the dark color adhesive it takes a much harder squeeze on the glue gun to get the fluid to flow.  I imagine if there is any air in the cartridge it compresses with the higher pressure needed to eject the adhesive, this will effect the ratio of the two components are ejected.

Johnny C

we havent had viscosity problems but have been running a lot of doeskin adhesive and been taking 2 hours in some instances to be hard enough to machine. tried 2 different lots and same issue. im in FL so the temp is not an issue.

Jim Gillen

That’s what we are finding as well a good two hours to be “machinable” overnight it gets hard but it’s killing me on hours!

Ray Aleksic

Hi Jim and John,

If you are having to wait a very long time for the Corian adhesive to set, chances are it is not curing at all. To me it sounds like the Methyl Methacrylate is evaporating and leaving the solids behind. This would give the impression of a full cure, however the bond would be very weak.

I would be happy to discuss this with you guys and send you a sample of Seam-It adhesives to see if you like the cure and strength.

Ray-Gluewarehouse

Tom M

Ray,
    While your on the line – I just found out that WilsonArt is changing the formula for their adhesive soon. That may put a real cramp in the solid surface applied edges we place on laminate tops. When Chad was here at the shop a few months back he explained what made that adhesive so good at holding solid surface to laminate. He said you have some of that stuff in your adhesive, but not as much.

Is there a glue you have that we might switch to?

Thanks!

Norm Walters

Tom, while I got you on the line……… Tom……….. Are you there…………Tom??

Could it be how your storing the adhesive? According to Corian, adhesives should always be laid on it’s side. The colorant will sink to the bottom if the adhesive cartridge is standing upright. It may also effect the adhesive qualities.  Just a newbies thought since I just finished the Corian training program. Then again, what the hell do I know.

Tom M

This is Major Tom to Norm Control – I’m stepping through he door…

nope not a storage problem, these are brand new and sit for only a couple days.

Ray, 95% of the glue we use already comes from you. I occasionally buy some corian adhesive. Chad explained the drying out when he made an appearance here a couple weeks ago. When are you coming by?

nope not a storage problem, these are brand new and sit for only a couple days.

Ray, 95% of the glue we use already comes from you. I occasionally buy some corian adhesive. Chad explained the drying out when he made an appearance here a couple weeks ago. When are you coming by?

Ray Aleksic

John,
    Just got back in the office , was in California visiting customers for the week. I will not be in Sunny Florida any time soon, thats Chad’s turf Sounds like you need to use Seam-It 100 %………

Tom,
    I am not sure what Wilsonart is doing, however we have many satisfied customers using our adhesives for intgral bowls to SS and Laminate.

Rick,
    Adhesives should be stored nose plug up. If your adhesive supplier is telling you to store it on its side it is to mask a problem IE color separation. Storing on its side creates a bunch of issues especially with the large cartridge. If you would like to discuss this I am in the office this week. 877 595 4583

Tom M

Ray, are you saying you have an adhesive that will work gluing solid surface edging to particleboard?

Ray Aleksic

Hi Tom,
    No we do not have an adhesive that has been tested to stick to PB. We do however have customers that use our adhesives while gluing bowls to Laminate, Solid Surface and Particle Board all at once.

Tom,
    Unfortunately we have been doing some solid surface edging on laminate tops and found that 2P10 gel that comes in a caulk gun tube works well. Holds good, has about a minute of work time. Not cheap but does the job.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.