Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Have you guys ever done this?

I have been asked to take about 30 sheets of 1/2″ Flint corian, cut them into a few different sizes, but most of them would be large (123″ x 29″ for example) and then sand all surfaces (including the bottom) to a matte finish.  The pieces will used as inserts for metal frame work tops.  The idea is to flip them over after a certain amount of time and get double the life between the surfaces needing to be sanded again.
    My thought was to take the pieces and run them through my wide belt using as fine of a grit as possible and only need a light buff after all is said and done.  Any thoughts on this?  What grit steps would you take?  Think it is possible to do this without having to hand sand the top and bottom?  I would like to only have to sand the edges.  All input is welcome.

Thanks,

John

David Gerard

one thing I will comment on is,  don’t expect to have the same beauty on the bottom as  on the top (factory surface)  the partical count is higher on the  factory surface  than the bottom due to settling during the manufacturing process.  Bubbles  on the bottom may be an issue too.  Just my own limited opinion

John:

This seems like a goofy idea to me.

David is right, you’re unlikely to get good particulate dispersion on the backs of sheets and air bubbles are likely.

Flint is a particularly poor color choice for this application, as it shows scratches easily.

Joe

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

I think it would work fine because you will only see one side at a time, so if it looks a bit different, it shouldn’t matter too much.

I like the idea of running it through a wide belt sander, but you might end up with a little washboard effect. You may still have to sand with the finer grit to get it as nice as the top side.

If you have a Surcare (big yellow beast) sander, the process should be relatively quick.

KCWOOD

Andy, if his widebelt has a platen like mine…. there will be no washboard effect.

Bill Wolle

Jihn,

Flint is a small particulate color, as such, there should be minimal particulate settling and once sanded, there should be only a minimal difference between the front and back. It depends in how much you sand. Since DuPont uses a wide belt sander in the production of the sheets, you should be able to get to at least that finish on your wide belt sander sander. I think I remember that DuPont went to either 180 or 220 grit. I might be wrong with that. The big key will be to take minimal off with the final passes to minimize the linear scratches.

I like Andy’s suggestion of the Surcare for the last grit and/or Scotchbright(R).

Kelsey is correct, there should be no washboard effect.

Good Luck!

(Many fabricators have done this type of thing for toilet partitions and had minimal bad effects)

Bill

Tom M

How thick will the sheets be when sanded and how much extra support will be need3ed?

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

If you are able to eliminate the washboard effect, this application would be perfect. Be sure to protect the brackets on the bottom so they don’t scratch the bottom side of the material. Hate to turn it over only to find scratches from the table base.

KCWOOD

I cannot imagine having an application where you would want to spend the time to back sand a sheet, so someday one could flip it over?  I cannot imagine someone wanting to pay for the extra cost in doing so. If they are willing to pay more, sell them quartz so wear won’t be an issue like solid surface is??

IMO.. if wear and tear is that much of an issue… this would not be an application for solid surface at all and they are buying the wrong product.

Just 2cents thrown in for free….

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.