Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

We are presently experiencing an ongoing issue with the quality of CORIAN cast sinks.
    We are noticing a numer of problems:
    1. Black spots just below the surface
    2. Random white bruising
    3. Rippling in sink walls
    4. Really rough patches along inside where a heavy grit sander has been used.
    5. Sink flanges not cut square and flat

We get replacements but as often as not they too have the same problems. DuPont are investigating.

Take a close look at any sinks you may have in stock – some of the defects are subtle and could be overlooked by a busy fabricator. How widespread is the problem?

Steve Mehan

Patrick,

I’ve noticed all the things you bring up on most brands of soild surface sinks except the black spots below the surface. I never rely on the factory sink to be a finish product. I have a 4′ x 4′ flat sanding table that I contact sprayed 80 grit sheets of abrasive to, so I can put a sink upside down and sand the flange flat in a few minutes. After I mount the sink and rout the sink edge profile I always sand out the entire sink to ensure there is a nice smooth surface for the water to rinse well in. That is a complaint many people have about solid surface sinks is they think they stain, it’s really they were not sanded well and the dirty water settles in the deep sanding scratches making it look stained.
    The rippling I have expierenced, if it’s bad I could see sending it back but I have always been able to smooth the finish out during sink sanding.
    All the issues you mentioned can be taken care of during fabrication but I agree the black spots would be a problem, and those I will keep a look out for.

Steve

Jeff Vickers

Patrick,

We have the same issues, and have taken it up many times and told it is not very common and then to receive the hand wringing ” we will sort it”.
    It must be one of the few products that needs work and rectification before being suitable for use.

Steve,

We flatten every sink the same as you, the record is 45 mins but the average is 5/6 mins.

Just my two cents,

Jeff

Patrick,

We find it on occaision in the sinks(black spots) but the overall quality is still pretty good here. Could be old stock that was in thier warehouse and the stuff your seeing hasn’t got to us yet. The sinks we really like are the one from Staron and the Avonite ones that are made by Schock. Almost zero problems.

Thanks for the responses.

After I first posted this I was unable to find the Members’ Area on the Forum so  assumed I had mis-posted. The same topic has been re-posted in, I think, the Business 101 forum. (Andy, any idea why the thread went missing?)

My feeling is that  we are paying for a finished product and that is what we should get. Not having to invest unpaid time in rectifying faults which should have been spotted in the first place by the sub-contractors that DuPont contract with to finish off the sinks.

There is definitely a QC issue with the inspection of these sinks.

Mike:

I agree with you as to the quality of the Staron sinks. The drain openings are completely rounded and sanded smooth, greatly reducing the chances of failure. The flanges are flat too.

I’m about done with my Chemcore cheap sink fling, but that’s another thread.

Joe

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Patrick,

The post will only show if you are logged in. Maybe that is the issue. I will delete the other one.

We have always had issues with sinks not being perfect and just assume that is part of the fabrication process. I don’t really expect sinks to be perfect, but I would have a problem with the flange not being flat.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.