Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Andy Graves
    Keymaster

As many of you may know, children don’t always hit the inside of the toilet. They often hit the sides, floor and walls surrounding the toilet.

Back when I fixed up the bathroom ten years ago, I installed mdf base. Well that was a mistake. With the water from the shower and the pee, the base board swelled up and the paint started to peel. Looked awful.
    This time around, we decided solid surface base would be perfect. I v-grooved the top edge to make it 3/4″ thick and routed a decorative profile. I also added a space toward the bottom to attach to the wall.
    Hard seamed the outside corners, scribed to the floor and it looks amazing. Lot more work, but I will never have to paint it.
    The only thing I am not a fan of is the silicone. I am used to using a latex caulk and then painting a straight line. This white silicone kinda got up into the painted wall and was tough to get looking perfect.

Andy, that looks awesome!!

I never understood why builders used MDF for base in a bathroom or kitchen.  Well I guess maybe I do.  It all boils down to initial cost.

IMHO, MDF looks good, just long enough to sell the house.

Johnny C

Steve , NY

Looks good Andy,  this week I have to make a solid surface panel to put on the bathroom wall behind some urinals in a church, for the same reason that your base board didn’t last long.   A little worried the plumbers might run the screws through the solid surface and cause it to crack.

How did you fasten the base board other than the silicone around the top ?

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

I used silicone to attach it. First I glued on a spacer and then I used silicone globs ever eight inches. Put a stick between the walls to hold in place until it dried.

Jon Olson

Great use of corian, the bath has many areas solid surface can be used.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.