Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Corian now offers a SS farmer style sink.  I have yet to sell one but think that it is only a matter of time.  How would it be installed in a SS countertop.  what I am asking is, would it be mounted flush with the deck around the bowl, and if so, what would the transition be like at the front where the countertop edge meets the apron of the sink.  If done this way it would seem that it would be apron to cracking at the square detail where the underside of the edge meets the side of the apron.  Even if the sink was installed with a reveal you would still have the square detail at the front.  These two scenarios are assuming a hard seamed installation.

Alternately, I would think that you could install the sink with a reveal and silicone.  This installation would require the use of clips of some fashion to hold the sink in place.

Have any of you installed the farmers style SS sinks?  And what were your concerns, and how have you addressed them?

Johnny C

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

I have not seen this style sink from Corian. Do you have a link?

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Got it. Here is the link to the Farmer’s Sink.

It looks lik and undermount application. I’m sure you could seam it to the underside of the material, but that may not be the intention of this particular style.

Posted By Andy Graves on 07 Jan 2012 03:35 PM

It looks lik and undermount application. I’m sure you could seam it to the underside of the material, but that may not be the intention of this particular style.

Seaming it to the underside of a deck is not a problem from en execution standpoint.  I am more concerned of the stress risers created at the junction of the sink and the front edge detail for the countertop.  If it creates a hard square corner at a location where the mass of the material changes direction, it has the potential of creating said stress riser.

Also, from a warranty standpoint, DuPonts’ long standing prohibition of hard seaming two disimilar materials, seems to be blown out of the water here since this sink is a poly blend.

Just curious whaqt others think.

Johnny C

I wouldn’t hard seam that sink; it’s unnecessary to make it look good. Make a nice looking silicone joint and forget about ever getting a callback.

Joe

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

On a typical solid surface sink, isn’t the backside of the flange a heat riser? Never had a problem there.

Posted By Andy Graves on 09 Jan 2012 10:27 AM
    On a typical solid surface sink, isn’t the backside of the flange a heat riser? Never had a problem there.

Interesting perspective and I see your point.  The main difference is that in a typical SS sink, it is completely surrounded by the deck.  With the 690 the stress point intersects the countertop edge where any flexural stress will be focused at that point.  this is something that would require extra care during transport.  I am not sure how vulnerable it would be after installation.

Johnny c

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Good Point.

I wonder what they are hoping we do as fabricators.

Gemstone also makes a Farmer Sink. You can see it on Gemstone’s web site under the “New in 2012” tab. http://www.gemstoness.com/new-in-2012.

Mounting can be done with silicone or hard seam. If you hardseam, then you will have to worry about the jut out so it woudl be difficult. I would also recommend support as they are larger sinks.

The new Gemstone Farmers models are offered in a single, 50/50 double, and a large/small model. They can also be made in concrete!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.