Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Got a question about wether you can use the scratch – free comet with bleach on stone. I was curious if one could get by using this periodically and is using a sponge would be fine to clean up after it. Also would the green scotch brite pads you see at the stores be to abrasive on the finish?

Thanks,

Reuben

Eisenwinter

Reuben,

I have read multiple times on many stone sites that both Comet and green scotch brite are too abrasive to use. Supposedly even Soft Scrub. It will remove the polish or shine. Plus bleach is almost off the pH scale, like 12.5 out of 13, so it is highly alkaline.

Hi Reuben

The green ScotchBrite pads contain silicon carbide. It is what makes the scrubby so effective. It is also an abrasive used in fabricating natural stone. This is why, if used in a very aggressive manner, the green scrubbies could mar the surface polish of the stone. If people want an alternative scrubby, recommend the blue “non-stick safe” scrubbies. They do not contain silicon carbide.

Using the comet once or twice probably would not harm anything. Using it as a regular cleaner is not advised, though. There are very many brands of stone cleaners available from just about every grocery store and home improvement center, so it would be a small matter to change your regular cleaner or to just buy a bottle of cleaner specifically for your stone tops.

A great daily cleaning regimen for natural stone tops would be to have a couple of microfiber towels at hand – one slightly damp and the other dry. The damp one will clean most any spill you can create, while buffing with the dry one removes all smudges. It really is quick and easy and takes no effort at all

If you feel like disinfecting your tops, a wipe down with a bleach solution or hydrogen peroxide would work just fine.

Tom M

…recommend the blue “non-stick safe” scrubbies. They do not contain silicon carbide.

I did not know this. Thanks for the tip.

As for the disinfectant bit: Does this advice depend on the sealant, or is it pretty safe with all?

I will have to see if I can find the blue scrubbies. Does white scotch brites also contain the silicon carbide. I guess my main reason for asking this trying to find a good system to recomend to people who have mixed kitchens ie solid surface in sink area etc and then an island of granite. Give them a good system they could use say once a month to disinfect and noy have 6 different products. Is this really possible ?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.