Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

I have a question for those of you running a CNC router.
    I noticed on several photos of lettering and inlays, that there is a very sharp point to the corners of the letters and or graphics that make up the inlay. How is this accomplished with a router bit since it is round? How does it make such a sharp point in the base to accept the inlay? Do you have to hand trim it?

What brand of CNC router would you recommend to a small beginner shop?

Andy Graves
    Keymaster
    The corners are engraved with a tapered bit. You can use any taper you want but it must come to a point.

As the machine approaches the corner, it moves up until the point of the bit is exactly at the corner of the cut. Then as it changes direction, it lowers back down.

The middle of the pocket would just be trimmed with a standard end mill. Final pass would be made with the tapered bit.

Michael

Rick,

What level and type of work are you going to be doing?

That huge difference on answering your questions. I would be glad to help you out there and hopefully help you avoid some of the mistakes I and other I know have made.

Michael

Matt Kraft

What Andy said.

We have used 1/16″ spirals as well. A 1/32″ radius is plenty square for most applications that we’ve done.

Matt

Michael,
    I don’t have a CNC project. Just a newbie with an inquisitive mind. At least I think I still have my mind. It was just one of those things that I couldn’t figure out on my own being so green.

Tom M

Matt,
    I have used the 1/16″ straight, but not a spiral. Being solid carbide those suckers were mighty fragile. We broke a couple of them just setting the bottom and/or surface.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.