Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

We have been experiencing cloudiness along seams with some of the quartz products. Some have suggested that they are burn marks, but these are not burn marks. This is simply where the material almost appears to be honed instead of polished. Any suggestions?

Paul White

Are you polishing your seams? If yes, stop! If no, the only idea I have is that oftentimes the edges of the slabs are poor quality and you need to cut off 1/2″ – 1″ before you fabricate. If you are using the very edge of the sheet for the seam, then the cloudieness is from the factory.

-Paul

Be sure you have plenty of water running on the saw blade when you cut the material. It is only an opinion but with qyuartz when you heat it up it turns milky. Maybe you are running the saw too fast or too slow and causing heat from the blade. Let us know if that turns out to be the issue.

Thanks for the input everyone! I have passed all of the information along to my shop foreman and they are running tests to see what is causing it. I will keep you posted with the results!

Val

Well, it seams we’ve figured out the problem with the cloudy finish on the quartz! There is about a 1” perimeter around all of our quartz slabs that are innately cloudy that my guys failed to cut off prior to fabrication. It just happened that one of the ends ended up at a seam.

Has anyone else noticed that with quartz slabs? Kind of sucks seeing as how you are paying for all of the square footage of the quartz slab and on top of that the quartz slabs are already smaller than most granite slabs to begin with. So, the yeild is not as good as granite and it drives the cost up for the customer.

Val

OM

Val,

Which mfg was it. We have seen this also, but didn’t know where it was coming from. I think ours was on Silestone.

Guy

Guy,

I’ve seen it on several manufacturers including Caesarstone, Cambria and Technistone.

I am sure they are probably all the same since the manufacturing process is the same. The thing that is so irritating about it is the fact that we are paying for the full sheet even though it is not all usable. That is not the case with granite. Our stone yards only charge us for the usable portion of the slab.

Of course then you have pitfals with granite as well. So, what’s a fabricator to do right?

Val

OM

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.