Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author

Global’s are a lot less then Kohlers. And with the problems everyone is having with them they must be made overseas which would explain the inconsistencies.

Norm Walters

Mike, there was a time you could trust big brand names, not anymore, most everyone has jumped ship, or should I say container?

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

The Kohlers I get are “Hecho en Mexico”.

Chris Yaughn

Andy wrote

The Kohlers I get are “Hecho en Mexico”.

me too. Senior

Si senor, this would explain the dimensional differences.

Matt Kraft

So, I am a little perplexed on the aversion to reveal mounting of stainless undermounts…..

When 90% of the templates come to you with reveal mounts, are you guys telling me you change every one of them? Sounds like something that would be a pain in the backside. I have no problem doing whatever the customer requests, but if they say nothing on their preference, and the supplied template from the manufacturer is reveal — well that is what they get and I have no problem with it.

I have one in my house (Teka) and have no issue with it.

Matt Kraft

Matt Kraft wrote

So, I am a little perplexed on the aversion to reveal mounting of stainless undermounts…..

When 90% of the templates come to you with reveal mounts, are you guys telling me you change every one of them? Sounds like something that would be a pain in the backside. I have no problem doing whatever the customer requests, but if they say nothing on their preference, and the supplied template from the manufacturer is reveal — well that is what they get and I have no problem with it.

Bueller, Bueller????

Chris Yaughn

Matt,

I just prefer the way the overhang looks. Some of the reveals I ahve seen had crappy caulk jobs and I try to avoid’em. Except on granite where the unsealed bottom will draw in water and be a pain. Other than that, I guess it is just personal preference.

Keep in mind though, I don’t fab a ton of tops like many of you, so decisions like these don;t really add that much aggravation.

Chris

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Matt Kraft wrote

I kinda agree. We like to use the template first and ask the customer only if they bring it up. If it were my house, I like the overhang.

Matt Kraft

Andy wrote

Matt Kraft wrote

I kinda agree. We like to use the template first and ask the customer only if they bring it up. If it were my house, I like the overhang.

Thanks Andy.

Would still like to hear Mather’s take on the issue. I value his opinion, and am always looking to re-discover better ways of doing things if people give me reasons that make sense.

For the record, I just programmed an overhang mount on a Silestone job this morning. I went out on the job Friday, and asked the customer what they wanted. They wanted overhang only because they had seen it displayed somewhere (not my display, but I got the sale, gotta love it…….)

Tom M

Thanks, Matt. Always good to be wanted (in three states, no less!)

11:39 and 1:22 above gives my general opinion on the subject. I’m a form follows function kind of guy. The thought that stuff could ooze down the edge and get trapped at the bottom counter/top of sink makes me less impressed with the reveal – even though every single sink manufacturer shows it this way in their pics.

That they do that tells me, over all, the reveal method makes the sink look better (by adding that third dimension – the top flange), but I still recommend the overhang, as it makes for easier clean up. We make absolutely sure the customer understands the difference, because when we recommend something that is different than probably every picture the customer has seen, we need to be sure there are no confusions after.

Laymi Reyes

I like the look of the negative reveal myself but we find a reveal on the kitchen sink ends up with less chipping over time and recommend it. We do most bathroom vanities with the negative reveal simply for the look.

Tom M

Kevin,

Are most stone edge chips on the top or bottom of the cut out?

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

kdnoel wrote

I like the look of the negative reveal myself but we find a reveal on the kitchen sink ends up with less chipping over time and recommend it. We do most bathroom vanities with the negative reveal simply for the look.

We put an 1/8″ radius on the bottom of a sink cutout on stone if there is and overhang. Is this what you do?

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.