Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Brady Hudson

We have had a few chips we have had to repair in tops using CA glue.  Typically works out no problems.  However, if the color of the top is a really light or white color, you can see the repair being a yellowish color.  The CA glue doesn’t turn this color until you hit it with the accelerator.  Any ideas on keeping this from turning colors on me?

Brady

Have you tried it without the accelrator? I use most of the glues too and never use the accelrator spray..it kinda makes it like a yolk..dries on top and it gets hit..its well like a yolk..the color problem I would be intersetd in hearing when others chime in

Mark Meriaux

I use a different accelerator than most, and have never had problems with any discoloration:

http://www.screensystemsonline.com/family.php?id=4000_12&dd=ACTIVATORS&cat=activators

Another tip is to add a touch of pigment to the area being repaired.  Work the CA with a small pin or corner of a razor to mix/swirl the color, then try the activator (just a light mist).

Brian Stone

I’ll second what both Gene and Mark said. The accelerator isn’t necessary to get the glue to set, it’s just faster. I’d try one of three things:

1 – don’t use the accelerator
    2 – try to tint the CA to get it to match
    3 – try something other than CA. Plexus makes a UV kit that works very well for repairing small chips and scratches.

Thanx mark

Karl Crooks

One more thing that I will add to all of the other good replies

– You can also tint the counter before you add the CA.

Play around with some of these in your shop and you will get the hang of it.

Brady:

The other difference between CA and the UV light cure adhesives is that CA may yelllow from the ultraviolet light of the sun, the UV light cure adhesives will not. You may get a nice looking CA repair that will look nice a long time, depending on location.

Joe

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Sometimes we will just fill the chip with CA and leave it to dry. Seems to work with no issues. I have never tried the colorant, are you talking about the colorant for mixing granite adhesive?

Brian Stone

Yes Andy.

Topshop

You can actually use Sharpies to color the pit/hole before the CA is applied. Do not use sharpies to color before using the UV cure because the color will be too intense. No color is needed with UV cure unless you want to use ground stone dust to color it.

The UV cure is best used at wet applications like near a sink. Most spots do not get constant wetness so CA is fine most places other than a sink area. CA fails after a few years when often wet. This applies to both ES and natural stone.

Dupont told me not to use CA on Zodiaq in my training. They teach only using the Acrylic resin adhesives to spot drill & fill repairs.

Patience is the key to no accellorator bloom.

Tomson

Try to pigment it with iron oxide pigments, or titanium dioxide (white), if you are going to glue to pieces of quartz together and if you really want to have a good adhesion, you professional glue should have “silano” … it helps non-porous material adhesion

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.