Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

I have been thinking a lot about this green stuff. I may never be a green fabricator of products anytime soon, but got to thinking about landfill stuff. I pitch a fair amount of particle board, MDF scraps and wood scraps in the trash. 

i was wondering about setting up a burn pit by the shop instead of pitching it buring it. I guess my question is can you use that to fertilize the garden or give it to people to put in there composte?

Gotta be something to help reduce the cities trips to the landfill.

Maybe should put this in the green section, but it really isn’t a material. Guess it really isn’t about a countertop really either is it.

David Gerard

Reuben,  we save all the hardwood scraps and a friend who takes them home for his wood stove.   The mdf and PB are ripped into 3 strips for  lam build up the rest ends up in very small pieces,  and like you we can torch em.

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

I didn’t think it was a good idea to burn wood with glue in it.  Doesn’t it give off toxic fumes?

Jon Olson
    I don’t think its good to burn MDF. Toxic fumes

Uh, wasn’t planning on indoors was gonna do it outdoors, but I suppose if one tried to much at once it would create a problem. Maybe was not as good idea I thought it was.

Jon Olson
    We use the left over MDF to make glue up blocks. Test sink jigs etc…. How about your local school do they have a wood shop? Good stuff to practice with

David Gerard

With reguard to mdf,  I have heard two sides of destroying many things that give off toxic anything.   Burn it and it’s fumes,  bury it and it’s toxic  ground water.   A nasa scientist told me if you want to incinerate with little or no toxic fumes , get the fire very  very hot and not smoldering, and of course outside.

Lenny E
    Posted By David G. on 08/09/2008 12:28 AM
    With reguard to mdf,  I have heard two sides of destroying many things that give off toxic anything.   Burn it and it’s fumes,  bury it and it’s toxic  ground water.   A nasa scientist told me if you want to incinerate with little or no toxic fumes , get the fire very  very hot and not smoldering, and of course outside.

Hi All,

Nevamar and International Paper used to burn thier laminate scraps to generate heat for the boilers. The Towers had scubbers on them to eliminate toxic fumes. Sounds like a win win to me.

Lenny

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.