Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Chris Yaughn

Yesterday, or why Not to use Integra

by ChrisYaughn » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:51 pm

If you ever need to break a seam, steer clear from Integra.

PITA

The drive in was 2 miles of this
    Zoom in (real dimensions: 800 x 600)Image
    At the house

When I bought this double articulated saws all I thought it was a gimmick. No Way we would roll with a regular saws all now.

The plumber will appreciate that notch.

I never could get the hang of a threaded rod or bar clamp, so I made this. Works really well

I goofed measuring the back splash., so I had to remove the plywood underlay, after pulling the seam on the really long batwing raised bar. I probably could have pulled the top in one piec , but I am not sure. So I attacked the seam.

Then I ran out of Mapp Gas.

Shimmed it to open it up on top. Both sides of the seam are too hot to keep your hand on at this point.

Scratched the tiny phantom seam until I could see a line, Then started driving in razor blades.

Cutaway the ply with a turbo blade, and try not to set the house on fire. before running out of gas

Zoom in (real dimensions: 599 x 799)Image

FINALLY Broke the thing apart, pulled the ply and reset the seam.

ChrisYaughn

SFA Member

Holy cow.  We are not considered craftspeople because we never make mistakes.  We are craftspeople because the customer should never be the wiser of them.

Johnny C
    Karl Crooks

We had to open up and reset a 8′ long quartz seam just a few days ago. We cut it apart with a Festool track saw and a thin kerf diamond blade, it went right back together very well.

Chris Yaughn

Where did you get the blade with the right size arbor?  I would love to have one for mine.

That trick would work on a raised bar.

Chris Yaughn

Really just copy/pasted this post from the SFA site to show that resined stone can be heated without visually altering the resin.

If this had been quartz, we would have worked strictly from the bottom with the heat.

Tom M

Chris,
    So it seems there was no discoloration due to heat?

Chris Yaughn

No.  now if you held the torch still, it would of course cause a problom.  Probably pop the stone.  Not sure why I did not get a final pic of the seam.  It was a long day. 

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

I bet 2cm material would be much easier. Getting heat through a 3cm slab looks like it took forever.

Have you done the same thing with regular stone adhesive rather than the Integra?

Chris Yaughn

No experience with any glue other than Integra and Seam-It.

KCWOOD

Posted By Chris Yaughn on 15 Mar 2012 02:35 PM
    No experience with any glue other than Integra and Seam-It.

Chris, do you use clear/chameleon/stealth with your seams or do you do the color match?

Chris Yaughn

I usually  keep a clear, a chameleon, a beige olimpo and a black of some sort in the truck.  Then mix and match to get the finished color.

The better the seam the less important.

I will on occasion order color matched for the more monochromatic engineered stones.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.