Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Here are the before and after pictures of a Borealis Blue Zodiaq gouge I fixed today:

When the customer opened his upper cabinet door, the glass fell out and gouged the top. His forehead and hands looked worse than these tops, but they’ll heal without me.

No mechanical top or edge polishing or CA was used. I used my Invicon kit. You can just barely feel the repair on the edge, nothing on the top.

The customer said it looked “fantastic” and since he wrote the check, I guess his is the only opinion that counts. However, I’d entertain other comments from here.

Joe

Steve Mehan

When the customer opened his upper cabinet door, the glass fell out and gouged the top. His forehead and hands looked worse than these tops, but they’ll heal without me

Joe,

This just doesnt add up.
    That doesnt look like damage a glass would cause falling from a cabinet. A glass would have fallen from the wall cabinet in the middle of the top, not out on the edge at that angle.
    Did he get the cuts on his forehead and hands before the glass hit the counter or after?
    By any chance did he happen to have a black eye?
    Sometimes those falling glass’s hit as well..

A quick payment could be his way of saying ” Lets keep this quite “

Karl Crooks

Joe that looks real good over all, you could add a bit of Black to break up the gray line. Some times it helps to stand back and look at your work thru the customers eyes when you are done.

Nice job !

Posted By Steve Mehan on 23 Jun 2009 08:35 PM

When the customer opened his upper cabinet door, the glass fell out and gouged the top. His forehead and hands looked worse than these tops, but they’ll heal without me

Joe,

This just doesnt add up.
    That doesnt look like damage a glass would cause falling from a cabinet. A glass would have fallen from the wall cabinet in the middle of the top, not out on the edge at that angle.
    Did he get the cuts on his forehead and hands before the glass hit the counter or after?

Steve:

Perhaps I should have been more clear. It was the glass pane inside the cabinet door that allegedly fell out. I saw the glass was missing and it was hinged left on the left side of the gouge which would be perfectly consistent with the glass falling to the right from the centrifugal force of the opening door.

You are right to be analytical. A decade ago, I had a customer tell me a candle had had caused etching on his Zodiaq top. Mmmmm. How about the battery charger that the kids left plugged into the backsplash that had acid marks that aligned perfectly with the damage? The kids put the fat candle over the damage. DuPont sent out a rep twice and wrote a repair specification just for that job.

Joe

Posted By Karl Crooks on 24 Jun 2009 10:13 AM

Joe that looks real good over all, you could add a bit of Black to break up the gray line. Some times it helps to stand back and look at your work thru the customers eyes when you are done.

Nice job !

Karl:

This is the reason I post here. Constructive criticism and a nice atta-boy.

Your suggestion of breaking up the line is excellent. This gouge was so deep, I probably could have/should have made it bigger and cleaner with a diamond tipped dremmel and filled  with “particulate”. It is counterintuitive, but I will not be intimidated next time.

Thanks,

Joe

Karl Crooks

Posted By Kowboy on 24 Jun 2009 10:34 AM

Posted By Karl Crooks on 24 Jun 2009 10:13 AM

Nice job !

Karl:

This is the reason I post here. Constructive criticism and a nice atta-boy.

Your suggestion of breaking up the line is excellent. This gouge was so deep, I probably could have/should have made it bigger and cleaner with a diamond tipped dremmel and filled  with “particulate”. It is counterintuitive, but I will not be intimidated next time.

Thanks,

Joe

Joe you did great, all you may have wanted to do is add a couple of dark particulates on top of the grey line to break it up a bit. Think of the gray as the back ground with layers of other colors on top.

Steve Mehan

Posted By Kowboy on 24 Jun 2009 10:28 AM

Posted By Steve Mehan on 23 Jun 2009 08:35 PM

Joe,

This just doesnt add up.

Steve:

Perhaps I should have been more clear. It was the glass pane inside the cabinet door that allegedly fell out. I saw the glass was missing and it was hinged left on the left side of the gouge which would be perfectly consistent with the glass falling to the right from the centrifugal force of the opening door.

You are right to be analytical. A decade ago, I had a customer tell me a candle had had caused etching on his Zodiaq top. Mmmmm. How about the battery charger that the kids left plugged into the backsplash that had acid marks that aligned perfectly with the damage? The kids put the fat candle over the damage. DuPont sent out a rep twice and wrote a repair specification just for that job.

Joe

Joe,

It all makes sense now.
    I thought I was on to something

I may have posted these practice Cambria repairs earlier, but I couldn’t find them so here goes:

Joe

Mike Snead

Can’t see and or can’t feel , shall be the proper definition of a quality repair. I believe

Posted By mikes on 03 Aug 2009 07:20 PM
    Can’t see and or can’t feel , shall be the proper definition of a quality repair. I believe

mikes:

I like your definition, but it lacks context. The quality of the repair depends completely on who screwed it up. Your standard is for when a top is damaged during an installation or in the shop. If a customer screws up his top, a repairperson has much more leeway.

Joe

Brian Stone

Posted By Kowboy on 04 Aug 2009 08:20 PM

mikes:

I like your definition, but it lacks context. The quality of the repair depends completely on who screwed it up. Your standard is for when a top is damaged during an installation or in the shop. If a customer screws up his top, a repairperson has much more leeway.

Joe

I disagree Joe. When you use that leeway, it is no longer a quality repair. It is an acceptable repair.

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

I think you may see a grey line because we know where it is based on the center of the photo. If you never knew it existed, I don’t think anyone would ever see it.

When the customer causes the damage, they are looking for acceptable because the alternative is replacement and the cost is extreme.

I learned a long time ago that perfection is in the eye of the beholder.

Posted By Brian_Stone on 05 Aug 2009 08:34 AM

Posted By Kowboy on 04 Aug 2009 08:20 PM

mikes:

Joe

I disagree Joe. When you use that leeway, it is no longer a quality repair. It is an acceptable repair.

Brian:

I suggest you read “Practice doesn’t need to make perfect” in this month’s Woodshop News. Greg Williams, with thirty years woodworking repair experience, agrees with me. The article is apparently too new for a link, sorry.

Joe

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.