Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

well been messing around with bamboo countertops and been offering the bamboo Butcher block..but never sold any….but my second kitchen tops finally sold which are just bamboo plywood doubled up …and the pictures I have shown off already got me a couple of orders…thought i would share them with youse guyz to stimulate your ideas to do better..the seams are the only part you hafta be creative onit looks crappy if you dont either miter the corner deck or do what i done to get better use outta the 8 foot piece

I also did the bamboo wall unit below to match with paperstone desktops

Wags

Nice job Gene. Great useage of material in the corner, and it looks great also.

Gene:

That’s an unusual corner, but if it got you good yield and momma liked it, it looks good to me too.

Joe

Thanx Wags and Joe..i myself like the miter look when ever working with grain…pain in the butt…the other side was 10 feet also..so the 36x 36 corner deck in a neutral direction worked out

I just gotta think of somehow to celebrate the seam somehow..butting grain on seams in bamboo stand out like crazy…if you ever think of a better idea please share with me..the sink coulda saved one side seam..but the other side..but again the customer thought it was a great deisgn idea..so

just like working with grainy SS and that directional Formica solid surface..it takes alot in layout

Russ Lee

Gene,

What is your experience with bamboo regarding durability and maintenance. I know bamboo flooring scratches a lot easier than most other “wood” floors. Any info from the mfg?

Russ

Posted By Russ Lee on 01 May 2009 09:36 AM
    Gene,

What is your experience with bamboo regarding durability and maintenance. I know bamboo flooring scratches a lot easier than most other “wood” floors. Any info from the mfg?

Russ

Russ:

If I may, the hardness of wood flooring is measured by the Janka scale. The trick is finding a Janka scale that includes bamboo, which is a member of the grass family, and is not put out by a bamboo manufactuer/seller. The Wood Flooring Expo offers this and I think it looks pretty fair.

According to this chart, bamboo is harder than maple.

Joe

Russ…i also want to agree with Joe…and what happens when the bamboo floor scratches comments come up..its usually with further investigation that its the bamboo veneer on top of soft particle board routed to be clicked together…it then is sealed with the cheapest finish money could by..

I know of one person that the 100 lb dogs scratched it up…and her instant reaction is that bamboo flooring is bad…she also went with the low priced because it does “LOOK” the same…if you used oak veneer with the same system of floor MFG …it wont come out as OAK scratches

the tops are great. I use good finishes and give 4 coats for CT’s and 2 coats for cabinets…
    as far as durability its better than Dark brown or any other acrylic Solid Surface

Paul Yonally

I would agree with Gene on Bamboo flooring.  You get with you pay for in bamboo flooring.  If you purchase good Bamboo flooring it will hold up the same or better than any hardwood flooring system. 
    Paul

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Gene,

After it is sealed, do you have to sand it smooth or does the sealer soak into the bamboo?

I like the corner seam. Wouldn’t think that would look good, but it is kinda neat.

Yes Andy..I also would like the idea to sneak in a strip of dark bamboo at every eight foot…but on some jobs I have to layout the top then put the strips of dark bamboo in certain strategic spots…even with the corner seams the usual way

we still have the same problem seaming up end grain…but I keep experimenting and ill constantly show how its working out to share with others

the Honey and dark bamboo mix I just did some cabs outta looks awesome…cant wait to do some tops with that

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.