Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Andy Graves
    Keymaster

I am cutting some soap dish grooves with a 3/8″ ball nose bit. In the center of the cut it leaves a white line.

Is there a special bit I can use to eliminate that line? It is difficult to sand and if I slow down the feed, I can get a cut so smooth I wouldn’t have to sand it at all.

Andy suggestions would be a big help,

Andy

Andy,

I think that because it is a ball bit and it is rotating on an axis, the center point on the ball will have virually no cutting geometery at that point.  I don’t think there is a way around the line issue with a round bit.  If you can live with a slight flat bottom in your groove then the bit would have at least a minimum of flat area and room on the bit to have a cutting edge that swings a small distance away from the center.

When I have had to make round bottom grooves I always get a bit of a line.  I found it quite tedious to sand the line away.  I now use a cabinet scraper that I have cut the end at about 20 deg.  then the acute angled corner gets sanded to about 1/4″ radius.  I use that to take long scraping strokes to cut away the line leaving minumal sanding.

Kowboy would use a butterfly drill  bit and grind a radius on it.  Same Idea.

When these scrapers get dull, they are easy to touch up on the disc sander.

Johnny C 

KCWOOD

Andy, does your ball nose bit have 2 flutes? 
    I have cut grooves into a plastic lighting fixture housing years ago, with a core box bit, 2 flute Ekstrom Carlson bit and do not remember lines in the center.

Give them a call…  800-981-8927  they are the big boys with CNC tooling , they make everything!

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

It is a single flute, spiral bit.

I will look into those two ideas.

Thanks for the help,

Andy

Get a 3/8 cove bit, type with a bearing. Remove the bearing and grind the bearing post away. Look for a bit with the smallest dia bearing. Note that you will need to ramp down to finished depth. You could also hog with a straight bit leaving .020 Z for finish pass.

Andy,

We do as John mentions above and run the pass with a slight offset, routing inside a rectangle .020 wider than the bit vs. profiling along a line with very good results. We also use a 3 flute solid carbide ball mill from Vortex and the end result needs little sanding once you get the feeds and speeds right.

Good luck,

Tom in PA

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Thanks for the info.

Do you have any idea what speed and feed you’re running?

Len Smith

I’d like to see a sketch or photo of what Thomas is suggesting. For some reason I am not getting a mental image.

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Len, it seems you would end up with two lines instead of one, but would probably be easier to sand with the flat bottom.

Andy,
    We run the groove in two passes, a rough and a finish. Rough leaves .020 material for finishing. We run 14Krpm rough at 150ipm and 18Krpm at 100ipm for finishing. With the 3 flute and the offset we get only a slight line that comes out easy.

Len,
    Imagine machining the inside of a pocket that is .02 wider than your tool vs. running the tool along a line. Using the ‘pocket’ method I can climb cut on both sides of the groove leaving a better overall finish.

Tom in PA

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.