Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Tom M

AXYZ does a slope, a groove and an Island fill route for drain boards. We have a request for a sloping drainboard, but with an island fill in the middle (where a part of the top is not routed at all). We have done both, but not together. Is it possible?

Seth Emery

Tom,

I’m not sure how your CAM software works. Are you using AlphaCAM? We use Router-CIM. When we pick a shape for pocketing and then pick a shape inside the shape that was picked first, the second shape is left as an island. Do you know how to change your UCS in AutoCAD to rotate objects in 3D? Could you just make several drainboard toolpaths around the island area? Let me know if you want some help with the UCS. That’s how we machine most of our drainboards. Have you ever used LogMeIn?

Seth
    717-917-3259

Tom M

Seth,
    I am only familiar with the toolpathing software from AXYZ. hey do allow for island fills, but I don’t know if they allow for a sloping route around those fills.

This project involves first, an 1/8″ route (level) that is easy. Then there is the slope, except for the island areas.

I am no where near the expert I would need to be to use different CAM software with this CNC. The AXYZ software has been excellent for us so far. Unfortunately, much of your terminology is Greek.

Seth Emery
    Tom,

Do you use AutoCAD to draw your countertops? Here is a link about how to use the UCS: http://www.cadtutor.net/tutorials/autocad/ucs.php.

LogMeIn is a program that you install on your computer that allows someone to use your computer through the internet (once you give them the username and password). You can watch what they are doing. I’d gladly show you about the UCS this way if you wanted.

About the software, I wasn’t suggesting that you use other software. I was just suggesting that you make several drainboard toolpaths around the island instead of just machining it with one toolpath.

Sorry about the confusion. I hope this clears things up.

Seth
    Tom M

That’s good info, Seth, I will check it out.

Thank you.

Matt Kraft

Tom,

You are using a fill for the drainboard toolpathing?

We’ve always just used linear geometry in various shapes, then used the 3D projection.  There are always areas that aren’t routed.  But I don’t use any fills because we always just cut the grooves for the width of the bit.  Either 1/4″, 1/2″, or 3/4″ wide drain grooves depending on layout and customer preference.

I’ve machined out fills with a drainboard bit for the areas between butterfly sinks, but never projected a fill.  I assume that is the issue you are having?

Willing to help, not sure I’m understanding exactly where you are sideways.

Matt

Tom M

Here is a section of the route. I didn’t draw it, but it shows what you need to see.
    The whole drainborad area gets an 1/8″ route. Originally, the grooves got routed after that, which we’ve done many times. Now, they reversed that and the area that used to be grooves are now the unrouted area (except for the initial 1/8″ route). The area around the “islands” are now sloped. You two are so much more informed than I am and are comfortable with 3-d CAD work.

I, on the other hand, are an idiot.

Matt Kraft

Tom,

Give me a call if you are still working on this project.  It should be fairly simple, I ran a test this morning (without cutting material), but looks like the programming part is straightforward.

Matt

Tom M

Matt, thank you for the private message. I haven’t checked this post over the past couple of days.

If I remember right, you have an AXYZ, right?

Matt Kraft

Yes, we run an AXYZ

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.