Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

I have autocad 2000. I cant open cad drawing made on a newer version. I want to get an updated cad but cant afford to buy the new autocad. Will autocad LT do everything I need to do? Also will I be able to open cad files from the full version?

What is the difference between LT and Full Autocad?

Seth Emery

Travis,

I use AutoCAD 2000i. There are few things in the newer versions of AutoCAD that would be beneficial for us to switch, and I’m sure it wouldn’t be profitable at the moment. When I run into an issue of having to open a newer file version, I end up getting someone in the office with a new version of AutoCAD LT to open it and save it in 2000 format. For a temporary solution, you could download IntelliCAD and use it for changing the file versions. AutoCAD LT is a good option to consider. Is there anyone else in your company that could benefit from having AutoCAD LT on their PC? Some of our sales people use it for quoting purposes. The big differences from AutoCAD full version to LT are Lisp programming, Visual Basic For Applications Programming, ARX programming, and 3D drawing capabilities. While some of these features are available with add-on packages in LT, they do not come standard, as with the full version. These are features that I use everyday, so I couldn’t do without the full version.

I just looked up the newer file version topic in the CAD Forum on WoodWeb, and someone recommended using an add-on for AutoCAD to do the trick called DWGgateway. I have not used it, but it is free and comes from SolidWorks, one of the best 3D modeling software companies.

Enjoy your day,

Seth

Rob Parker

I have autocad 2006 if tht helps you any. email me if you need it

Someone told me that autocad lt will not open a dwg. file. I have a hard time beleiving that but does anyone know for sure?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.