Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Matt Kraft

I have a dwg file that I was sent by a millworker we do some business with.

I am pulling apart some drawings and cutting some PB sub-tops for a laminate job for him. I am able to open, save, and fully modify every part of his drawing, but I can’t copy and paste objects from it, nor can I save individual pieces as .dxf.

I get an error when trying to save a dxf of portions of the drawing that reads:

Error: Unable to clone proxy object.

Also, I can copy within the drawing he sent, but not to another file (our shop template).

What can I do? He is asking where his parts are, and I have hit a roadblock.

Chris vt

Try here generally pretty fast responses to questions.

http://forums.augi.com/forumdisplay.php?f=104

Seth Emery

Matt,

I have heard that proxy objects are objects that have been created by an add-on to AutoCAD – I think Microvellum is one that millwork companies use. Our CAM program, Router-CIM, creates proxy objects that can’t be modified if you don’t have Router-CIM installed. This doesn’t sound exactly like what you’re dealing with, but possibly the guy at the millwork company could create a dwg file for you with only what you absolutely need. Have him purge it before he sends it. Have you tried exporting anything as a block? What about tracing over the objects and copying and pasting the objects that you have created?

Have a nice day,

Seth

Matt Kraft

Seth,

I’ve got the guy that created the file working on it, but I don’t know how interested he is in helping me. I don’t know what it means to export as a block — I will investigate. As far as drawing over the shapes, that was the first thing that occurred to me, but it doesn’t work either. Anything drawn in here cannot be copied and pasted.

Its maddening considering how simple this job is.

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Matt,

Send me the DXF file and I will open in another program and then resave it. Maybe this will flatten the file so then you can trace. Just a thought.

Matt Kraft

Andy wrote

Matt,

Send me the DXF file and I will open in another program and then resave it. Maybe this will flatten the file so then you can trace. Just a thought.

Appreciate it , Andy — but I got it already. Send it to an engineer buddy of mine, gonna cost me a couple beers next time I see him, but it took him like 15 minutes to get it back to me already saved as R12 dxf and ready to go.

Relief.

Thanks for everyone’s attempts to help me out.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.