Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Matt Kraft

OK, like many of us fabricators, I have no real drafting training, but pretty much always figure out a way to get it done.

The only way I know to draw smooth curves from templated data points is to draw a spline. But my machine can’t cut a spline (3D component). I can get around this sometimes by converting everything to 2D in my CAM program (Toolpath). But I have a tub deck I’m drawing now and I have a gorgeous spline for the curved front edge, but I can’t fillet to the spine or anything.

How do I get that beautiful curve back to something I can work with? Can I convert it to a polyline? It won’t explode.

Please help.

Matt Kraft

Using AutoCAD LT in case I didn’t mention.

Tom M

Matt,

I’m no AutoCAD expert, but if you send me the files to:

info”at”mathertops.com

and cc to:

musedive”at”comcast.net , I’ll see if I can join the polyline.

You could try to connect the points as a polyline and convert to curves, if AC allows it.

Matt, What templating system are you using ?

Matt Kraft

We are using PhotoTop.

I think I may have figured it out, but I’m not sure how I got it done, so if anyone can actually give me the steps to get it accomplished for future reference, that would be great.

Its not cut yet, but I think I am done with the drawing, there is still a chance I can eff it up……

You should draw the curves as a series of polyline arcs rather than a spline. A spline will not fillet to a polyline. However you could run your spline past the edge of a polyline and use the trim command to get a closed shape.

Your machine should cut splines. I use them all the time for engraving, and a lot of sink manufacturers dxf files contain splines rather than arcs in the corners.

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

AlphaCAM can convert splines to arcs. Then you can fillet them like all other lines and arcs. I am sure AutoCAD has the same feature.

I bet you Seth would know.

Matt,

I’ve got a cad/cam program that I can import your file, join your lines and then export back out to .dxf. You can email the file to me at mdbc@ij.net and I’ll convert it for you.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.