Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Chris Yaughn

We have been tabbed by our local newspaper as the countertop experts for Statesboro, GA. We feild questions from the public on Countertops and for our efforts and (the low low price of $100 month) we get our picture in the paper weekly with the word “Expert” next to it. N0t bad for the money.

Got this question today. Which is better laminate or “engineered veneer”? I am not sure if this is simply a misunderstanding on the part of the person asking the question, or if there is or was some product at one time referred to as “Engineered Veneer”? The only veneers I am familiar with are of the wood variety.

Tom, You got any ideas on this?

Chad Fortune

They used to have some man made wood veneers that were called that, they glued up some sort of comglomoration of wood and sliced it thin, and so on.

Maybe, maybe not.

Tom M

Well, laminate is both a veneer and engineered. I’m betting they are talking about the same thing.

Probably picked up the term from a help you fix it site and they wanted to sound smart (the site, I mean).

Lots of materials would fit the term, though. Steel and other metals (both as raw sheetstock or with their own laminations, like phenolic and paper), epoxy coated fiber, etc. Maybe even fabric.

Chris Yaughn

Tom,

I know that technically lots of things are veneer. I just wanted to run it past you guys first to make sure there wasn’t a countertop material that was at one time marketed this way.

I will be delicate with my answer.

Thanks

Chris, the eng. veneer word appears here.

http://www.vicwoodtimber.com.cn/htdocs/english/product/product.asp

It’s what Tom said.

When the site comes up & says Install language pac or something like that, just click CANCEL and the site comes up.

Tom M

If the customer was thinking the wood veneer was the one, and it does not have some protection on the surface, like a melamine, then the decision is an easy one. Stay with laminate.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.