Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Chris Yaughn

While adding offsets to a dxf after leaving the jobsite (Job A) , I accidentally saved the file as another job name (Job B). Today I went to pull the file for Job “B”.

Is there anyway to recover the version of Job “B” that existed prior to that mistake? The job is an hour away and I am looking for a way not to have to burn 2 hours and gas to re-shoot the one little part I saved over.

Anybody?

Seth Emery

Chris,

If you have a network set up and do a back-up each evening, you could get the old file from the back-up tape. Does your CAD program create backup files? If so, you may be able to retrieve the “old version” from there if it hasn’t been overwritten by you modifying the “new version”.

Good luck,
    Seth

Chris Yaughn

Seth,

No network or back-ups here.  Just me and a laptop.  B/c I have a partner shop do most of our stone fabrication I do very little CAD work.  I have the barebones version of turbocad.  The painful thing is that the “memory” tab in turbocad shows the thumbnail of the file I need, but when I try to open it it requires the “updated” file which is on a disk that stays in the LT55 pda.

I have a feeling I am going to have a few hours tomorrow to ponder the meaning of life,……

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

If you created the file in the PDA and it is on the PDA then isn’t it still on there?

Did you download the file on your PC and then made changes?  Seems that it would still be on the memory stick.  NO?

Chris Yaughn

I pull the memory stick  out and access it w/ the laptop. Then back into the pda it goes.

Paul Bingham

The system  makes a backup file as you work. If you havn’t made another template since this job you may still have the backup file on the card.

Paul

Paul Bingham

Fotgot to mention the file name is autosave.

Paul

Gordon Shell

Put the SD card in your lapt-top and do a file search for autosave, it will find a ton of files, look for the date and time of the template and your file should be there.

Call me if you don’t find it.

Thanks

Gordon shel

Chris Yaughn

For some reason my pda wasn’t autosaving.  I tried looking the files up but, no go.

No worries.  I fixed it the old fashion way (I re-did it).  I’ll take an extra second in the future to double check before clicking “OK” to overwrite existing files.

Andy Graves
    Keymaster
    Posted By Chris Yaughn on 07/21/2008 10:46 PM

For some reason my pda wasn’t autosaving.  I tried looking the files up but, no go.

No worries.  I fixed it the old fashion way (I re-did it).  I’ll take an extra second in the future to double check before clicking “OK” to overwrite existing files.

I have a practice of never saving over the initial digitizing.  I always rename it to note a revision.  You may want to start doing this not only in case you make a mistake, but you will always have the original to refer back to in case a fabrication error happens.

Chris Yaughn

Andy,

That is not a bad idea.

Only problem is my PDA has a habit of…..

well…..
    uhm…..
    .. going microsoft  on me. 

So I hit the save button an awful lot while generating the original file.  In this case , however, your protocol would have saved me.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.