Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

I have a possible acid etching ring on an absolute black granite top, made by  heavy cleaning agent, do you guys have any recommendations on how to repair? 

thanks 
    Lenny E

Hi Michelle ,

Long time no see, how the heck are ya? Im fine and still sucking air and hope you are the same!

3 questions before I reply.

1.) running your hand accross it, can you feel the etch? Can you visibly see it as roughness (disregarding color)?

2.) Did it show up as a white  ring? If not what does it look like?

3.) was the top sealed (Im thinking not!). 🙂

The lady said she used shock it clean Xtreme

I am doing great thanks for asking!

1. It is smooth

2. yes it has a milky appearance

3. not sure if it was sealed but most likely not ( was not our install)

Thank you very much for your help.

Michelle

The lady said she used shock it clean Xtreme

I am doing great thanks for asking!

1. It is smooth

2. yes it has a milky appearance

3. not sure if it was sealed but most likely not ( was not our install)

Thank you very much for your help.

Michelle

Lenny E

Michelle,

Go over on the stone boards or gardenweb and chat up a lady named “stonegirl” she forgot more about this than I will ever know. If you can’t locate her, read below.

If you can’t feel it, it didn’t severeIy etch the stone. I think that product contains solvents (degreasers) if I am not mistaken. You can try various poltices etc. (Doubt if it works). See http://www.kitchen-counter-tops.net/granite/care-and-cleaning-for-granite-countertops.html

Try the poltice on an unseen area of the granite first to make sure it does not make the situation worse.

If that fails, your going to have to remove it mechanically. (machine it down…ouch!!!!!!!)

Chris Yaughn

Etching will change the finish on the top.  It will be less shiny.

Could be she got some dyed AB and the cleaner “bleached” out the dye if there is no change in the look of the polish across the area.

Lenny, it is doubtfult AB would have been sealed in most cases as it will not soak up much of anything, sealer included.

Some Tenax Dyes “might”  help.  maybe….

Michelle:

Is this helpful?

Joe

Lenny E

Joe,

If you had actually offered some help, I could see asking that question.

Thanks for your help! It was a simple fix when we went out there is ended up being some type of scale.

we used stone pro’s deep cleaner and deposit remover and some elbow grease and we were good to go!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.