Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Andy Graves
    Keymaster

First let me say I really like Quartz surfacing products…

BUT, what the hell is this marketing crap about 93% quartz crystals in a slab of Quartz. The percentage is by weight not volume and mean absolutely nothing. Does anyone know the actual percentage by VOLUME?

This seems a bit desceptive doesn’t it? Just my take, I could be wrong.

Dani Homrich

Andy,

Quartz is about 2.73 times heavier than Polyester, but there are a lot of variables including pigment and particulate size and any thing else added, so the actual volume of poly in a sheet could go as high as 25 to 28 percent. Without any additives the poly content is about 20%

Dani

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

So just to clarify, quartz is about 20-25% polyester material and 75% quartz crystals. Does this sound right?

I bet Lenny could set this straight.

I heard from several sources that it was around 35%, which if you compare with a concrete mix ( 1 cement, 2 sand and four gravel) it seems reasonable. That works out to 42% cement and fine material combined, or 14% cement alone by volume. Since we are talking about close to the same aggregrate, the fines and cement ratio to “wet” and encapsulate the aggregrate should be simular.

Dani Homrich

Andy,

Al is right, in some products the numbers could be as high as 30% to 35%. You need plenty of poly to hold everything together. With out that the product would just fall a part.

Dani

Doug Weaver

Thanks Dani,

But don’t call me right yet, am relying on second hand info myself and logic. You know the old saying about assume, making an a** our of u and me.

I quoted the 35% figure, would like the article to be as accurate as possible.

LENNY!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.