Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

To all who stack,

I had one of suppliers get me 7/8″ MDF with a white paper fiinish on one side for my tops. I have seen on here or talked with people that have complained about the 1″ materials. This supplier has multiple location in 15 states, would you be interested in getting some. You will probably need to buy an entire unit at a time (approx 34 sheets) cant remember. If so let me know and I will let them know. We have some pull with them and can make it happen. I am sure we could also pressure, as a group, to get a mill to make 7/8 for us solid surface stackers.

John

Norm Walters

John, I have been using an import plywood they call 1″, it actually measures 15/16″ I have been getting it from Tech Products.

KCWOOD

John, Norboard will make you any thickness MDFyou want with an order of a trailer load. I do a 2″ stack so I need to use 15/16. I don’t use enough to order that much. I just run my 1″ MDF through my wide belt sander.

I did hear of an import plywood that was 15/16″… I need to check on it.

Norm, I did find the 1/8″ door skins at Home Depot. $6.78 each. Thanks!

Shane Barker

When you say a 2” stack are you talking about two layers of ½”
    at 2” wide to make a
    1 ½” thick edge?

Shane

Norm Walters

Shane, yes. Kelsey and I both do it that way. It uses more material and sometimes I buy a 5″ strip to get the splash.

Shane Barker

We do 7/8″ so if the mdf is a little thick or thin it doesn’t
    matter that much but if you are doing two inch wouldn’t the 15/16” cause
    problems if it was a bit on the thick side. The way the material is we run into
    that a lot. Do you adjust the thickness on each job?

Shane

Norm Walters

Shane, I use plywood and the thickness has always been consistent. Maybe your MDF is absorbing moisture and swelling in the shop, I don’t know.

Shane Barker

Sorry Norm, I don’t think I explained that very well. Instead
    of 2” wide we do 7/8” wide build up with an 11/4” overhang so the substrate
    does not need to be exact to the build up, however with a 2” build up if your
    15/16” mdf is a little thick because the solid surface is well under ½” then you
    have problems, likewise if the ss is right at a 1/2″.

So the thickness issue I am talking about is from the
    solid surface not being at ½”. We plane down our strips from 1” mdf on the cnc
    to whatever size we need so we don’t really have an issue.

Shane

Shane,

I understand front overhang thickness substrate issue. I do not remember if it was you or some one said once they sometimes will drop the countertop front lip down cabinet front 1/4″, so sometimes use 3/4″ substrate. I understand that. Question is on same kitchen drop edge has finished edge that can only hang over 1/4″ cant drop down side cabinet and still look same thickness correct or am I missing something? Also have slide in range I finish back that return so same problem if want to do drop edge correct? Maybe I have been seeing to many different whites this week and my brain is dead. SO how you do those drop edges in those cicumstances?

Reuben

KCWOOD

Avonite says minimum of 1 1/2″ width on buildups? I can’t tell you the people, I have installed for, that told me they like the feeling of the 2″ buildup when they grab the edge. I have actually received several jobs because of it.

Shane Barker

Reuben,

We use ½” mdf and lip over the cab ½” every time we can, if
    the dishwasher is crowded or other reasons we may go ¾” mdf with ¼ lip over the
    cab. If we need to not lip at all we will use 7/8” – 15/16” mdf. As far as ends
    that do not have enough overhang to allow for the lip down, if these ends are
    not hidden by a refer or range we will not do the lip over the cabs and keep
    the edges all the same thickness, but it is not too often that we have an open
    end that we cannot get at least an 1” overhang.

KC,

Last I heard Avonite had a minimum of 1” on build up, but I don’t
    do much Avonite so I may not have the latest info. I agree that a 2” edge can
    be more appealing but you would only notice it on a top with extended overhang
    like an island or peninsula and I personally don’t feel it is worth the extra
    material and glue to do it as a standard. I know what you mean about when
    people grab the edge and like the feel, I get the same results by doing a
    roundover on the inside bottom edge and sanding everything smooth. My motto is “If
    your finger can touch it its got to feel smooth”, and that has got me jobs as
    well.

Shane

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Shane wrote

Reuben,

We use ½” mdf and lip over the cab ½” every time we can,

Shane

What do you do over the dishwasher in this case? Is 1/2″ mdf enough to support a span that large?

Shane Barker

Usually when we are
    able to use ½” mdf it is on shop built cabs, these cabs usually have a stile
    across the top of the dishwasher span for support and if there is not one
    across the back we will put one in at install. If we ever feel that support may
    be a problem we will go with the thicker substrate.

Shane

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.