Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Fred Atwood

I have a 54″ diameter round top made from 3cm Tropic Brown granite that I had fabbed by a sub. They told me the top would weigh about 200lbs. Seems more like 400 – 600lbs to me. We had two pretty strong guys on the job site today and they could not lift it to perch at 42″ where it belongs.

Does anyone know what this top might really weigh or a place where I can find per square foot weights for different surface options?

Chris Yaughn

Eos Gordon posted some avg sq ft weights a while back but I could not find them.

chris

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

I understand that 3cm weighs 8-12lbs a square foot.

Matt Kraft

Andy, that sounds low.

Found a scientific site that list an “average” granite at 166.5 per cubic foot. That would put 3CM at about 17 pounds per square. Sounds more like what we are used to.

Matt Kraft

http://www.convertit.com/Board/view.asp?mode=viewtopic&topicID=222&forumID=&catID=

Got a laugh out of the above link. Some type of forum where they tried to figure it out with a calculation and then the last post is “I would suggest using a large scale”

Andy:

Also ran across some granite company that crates and ships and they use 12.5 per square, so I am not sure what is correct at this point.

Gordon Shell

Zodiaq weighed approx 15lbs for 3cm, Stone varies by color and density, usually between 17-22lbs per square foot.

Gordon Shell

With that said, I believe you have approx 15.89sq ft here would be some possible numbers.

15.89 X 17 =270.23

15.89x 18= 286.02

15.89x 20= 317.8

Area=(pi) X R2

Fred Atwood

Wow…what a varience..from prior posts, it could be from 8 to 22lbs per sq ft. I can tell you for sure it is not 8. That would be around 127lbs and 1 guy could have done that for sure. My estimate is closer to the top is correct for this material. At 22 per sq it would be just under 350lbs. All I know for sure is that it is REAL HEAVY.

Thanks all for the info!

Matt Kraft

gshell wrote

Zodiaq weighed approx 15lbs for 3cm, Stone varies by color and density, usually between 17-22lbs per square foot.

This sounds right.

Norm Walters

All, I think lifting and setting countertops is alot different than just lifting dead weight. With a countertop you can’t hold it close to your body when setting it, thereby creating more leverage, making it “feel” heavier than it actually is. I unloaded 34 sheets of 2cm solid surface with two people at 148lbs a sheet and I thought I was going to die.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.