Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Matt Kraft

Does anyone repair these themselves?

We have a few of them in the pile of tools that need repair and I’ve always seen thermostats available for the bigger 3M guns, but the TC parts seem to be hard to find.

Matt

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

We have a pile of these guns as well. We finally switched over to a standard gun that takes the 1/2″sticks because the adhesive is so much less expensive.

Matt Kraft

What did you switch to Andy?  Any issues?

Surebonder pro 7000A.  I got mine from Bruce Adhesives several years ago.  Only problem I have had is the on off switch went bad on one of them.  I just hot wired the sucker.  If it is plugged in it is on.

Prior to hotwiring.  It was possible to bump the switch and turn it off.  Do you know how frusterating it is to grab a cold hot-melt gun when you are ready to use it.

Johnny C

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

We use the Pro 7000 Surebonder. It works well and can withstand the all day usage.

Keep in mind the guns do not last forever but they are cheep and more importantly, the adhesive is way less then the 3M ridged adhesive.
    David Gerard

we use both.  I like the model 7000 for all the same reasons.  We were at a job where the widow had a big box of 1/2 sticks from her dead hubby who was a contractor.  She sold us a case of sticks and a box of wood bisquits for like $ 25.00.  Im set for a while now.  Johnny,  just today I blew a switch,  thanks for the hard wire trick!  ” there, I done fixed it!”

KCWOOD

Posted By John Christensen on 19 Dec 2011 01:28 PM
    Surebonder pro 7000A.  I got mine from Bruce Adhesives several years ago.  Only problem I have had is the on off switch went bad on one of them.  I just hot wired the sucker.  If it is plugged in it is on.

Prior to hotwiring.  It was possible to bump the switch and turn it off.  Do you know how frusterating it is to grab a cold hot-melt gun when you are ready to use it.

Johnny C

Johnny…yep… after it happened to me a few times, I just ran out a puddle, took a stick, scooped it up and filled in the recessed area where the switch is. Now it stays on all the time… my version of hot-glue wired 🙂

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

We hot glue the switch to the on position and unplug at the end of the day. It does stay on continuously for 9 hours a day.

KCWOOD

So how many actually had a 3m polygun that worked?  Mine would always slip, wouldn’t pull the stick through, but of course it only happened 1/2 way into attaching a backsplash or a huge wall panel.

When I complained to 3m.. I found out I had the only gun they had ever made that did that. Just my luck.LOL…

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

The poly gun with the quadrack converter attachment is a load of crap and I am being nice.

KCWOOD

Posted By Andy Graves on 24 Dec 2011 04:48 PM
    The poly gun with the quadrack converter attachment is a load of crap and I am being nice.

WOW Andy… so there was a second gun that was a piece of Crap. I knew when they told me mine was the only one that didn’t work… and I was the reason it slipped. I never could seem to load the stick right…

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Damn thing would always take a crap when applying splash. Get three globs and the last one won’t come out of the gun.

Lee James

Its not worth repairing the guns unless its the temperature module. You can do that yourself, if not switch to another brand such as Surebonder. You can buy glue for multiple applications if needed.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.