Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    KCWOOD

I just saw a 2 cm Silestone job with a 2 cm edge buildup. After close inspection, it appeared the fab used Integra adhesive, or a colored adhesive.  As a solid surface guy, I can tell you, the edge buildup seams are perfect, the deck seams are awesome.

How many of you guys do the 2cm buildup, is it because of cost, weight? 

What is the expected cost savings using 2cm with buildup vs 3cm….

I’ll post pictures soon….

Brian Stone

99% of what we do is 3cm. Usually the only time we do 2+2 is when a designer is involved and they feel that the 4cm will look better for some reason.

Any time we do a lamination job we use integra adhesive though. The color match is spot on and not having to screw around with mixing colors and then making sure you use the correct amount of hardener is awesome. We’ve done some with quartz that were pretty much invisible. Unfortunately I didn’t take any pictures of them.

As far as cost savings go we usually charge just as much or more for a 2cm buildup vs a solid 3cm top. It’s nice to not have to deal with the weight but we’re just not set up to run a bunch of laminated edge. It kind of throws a wrench in the flow pattern.

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

99% of our jobs are 2cm with the 2cm lamination. Out here on the west coast that is the standard. Everywhere else, it is 3cm.

We have good luck with the lamination. Most of the effort is in resurfacing the bottom of the material to remove the rough finish to create a tight seam. Of course color match adhesive helps a bunch.

Brian Stone

Posted By Andy Graves on 14 Oct 2010 12:30 PM

We have good luck with the lamination. Most of the effort is in resurfacing the bottom of the material to remove the rough finish to create a tight seam. Of course color match adhesive helps a bunch.

Same for us. That’s kind of what throws the wrench in the works. We put the parts on the router to run a calibrating wheel, pull them off to glue the strips on, and then have to put them back up to run the profile. We also have to limit the profiles we offer because all of our tooling is set up for 3cm instead of 4cm.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.