Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Norm Walters

There were discussions on the other BB about 15/16 plywood, mdf, ldf and their availability. I haven’t been able to locate any of these materials, and most of my tops are stacked edges. For edge build up I just plane 1″ mdf to 15/16 but when I need to support an overhang I need such a big piece that it won’t fit through the planer without doing it in pieces.

I shy away from doing drop edges for fear that you will see an adhesive line because of an imperfect saw cut, I don’t have a CNC so everything is cut with a saw, and I have had adhesive lines show with a drop edge in the past. Any suggestions would help, these stacked edges are not the most economical way to build a top.

Mory Ludwick

Norm,

We buy 15/16th by the bulk. We can get it in 4 x 8ft, 10ft,or 12ft. We get it from our distributor, which is OHARCO. I am sure they can ship it to you. You can give bill a call. His cell is 630-6189 of the office 342-4489. We like the 12 foot just because we do alot of bar tops and I like to do it in one piece. No reason, just the way we do things.

As far as stacking your edges, all of our tops are done that way. The builders here do not like dropped edges. When they walk up to it they want to feel the thickness all the way back to the cabinet. We come out an inch and a quarter to an inch and a half past the front of the cabinet. This way spills run on the floors instead of down the doors. Anything we do commercial we do a dropped edge. We have a vanity program that is pretty competitive. We are building more and more daily. We also use a dropped edge for this. We recently found a sink for $34.00. They say its all acrylic. We are having one shipped to us and I should have it Monday. I’ll let you know what we think of it. I hope its a decent sink. That will make our vanity program more competitive.

Mory

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Run the buildup strip through a table router. That way you will get a perfectly smooth edge.

You can also cut your buildup to lets say 1 1/8″. Then put a featherboard front and rear of the saw blade. Use a nice blade and recut your buildup. This should leave a really smooth consistant cut even though there will be fine saw marks. You shouldn’t hve any glue line problems.

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Norm,

What about 7/8″? Make the stacked edge 1/6″ less in depth than the overhang. Then bump the underlayment to the back of the edge minus a bit. Your customer will still have the thick edge feel, and you can get you underlayment support.

Norm Walters

Andy, I understand you first post , the second one I am going to give you a call about[EMO]confuse.gif[/EMO]

We found a supplier with 7/8 MDF with a white paper finish on one side. Great for hold down boards. If anyone finds a 7/8″ plywood let me know.

Thanks

John

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Norm W. wrote
    Andy, I understand you first post , the second one I am going to give you a call about

Norm,

Give me a call.

Norm Walters

John, you are in Ft. Myers, I am in Tampa, where are you getting the 7/8″ MDF with the backer on it, it sounds like shelf liner.

A&M Supply is getting it for us. They are going to have it as a stock item for from now on, I dont know how much they are bringing in but I will let my contact know you are interested if you want.

John

Norm Walters

John, I have an A&M supply in St Pete. which is close to me, let me check with them first. Mory, Oharco is getting their MDF from Weyerheuser, I called that company to see if they had a distributor closer to me, still working on it. Ordering from Omaha and having it shipped wouldn’t be cost effective. I’ve spent about two hours calling manufacturer’s to find distributors in my area, what a nightmare. The problem is where I live every countertop I’ve even seen has a single drop edge, my Staron and Hi Macs rep are clueless as to my problem so it’s doubtful that I can get them to order a truck load of 15/16″ MDF which is 365 sheets.

Norm Walters

John, the A&M supply you are dealing with must be the one in Pinellas Park, which is the one I use. I called them and they don’t show the 7/8″ MDF with the white backer on it on their system. Can you call me when you get a chance and let me know who your contact is at A&M, my cell is 813-230-2359, thanks

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.