Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Steve Poland

Anyone know where or if it’s possible to get 1/4″ granite to resurface laminate counter tops
    thanks Steve,

Norm Walters

Steve, I’m sure it is available but why would you want to? Every laminate countertop that I removed resulted in the cabinets needing to be leveled because it wasn’t that important to the laminate installer that they be as level as they would have to be for granite or quartz.

Anytime I have tried to save a customer money by going the cheap route it ended up costing me money. Just because you can do it, doesn’t mean you should.

I know that’s not the answer to your question, just my 2 cents.

KCWOOD

Norm why not?

Steve, many tile centers will have 3/8″ granite in many sizes, and also tile to use for countertops.  They will have all the trim you need including the edge trim.

However, you will have to remove the laminate top, the tile will not stick to it, plus if you use a backerboard on it, the edge trim will not fit. Remove it, apply 3/4″ plywood, attach 1/4″ Durock cement backer board.

There are many options that will look nice. I send my customers to The Tile Shop, http://www.thetileshop.com . They are a chain of many stores, not sure your area and are very helpful for the do it yourself customer.

Hope this helps!  Good Luck!

Steve:

Are you trying to compete against Granite Transformations? Their “1/4″ granite” is really a composite product and I think it’s proprietary. You wouldn’t be saving you customer any money. They get at least $60.00 per square foot for that stuff. I don’t know how they do it.

Try stonesheets.

Joe

Norm Walters

Kelsey, not sure if you have ever laid granite tiles on a countertop but it’s not a DIY job, at least not if you want it to look good.  Laying tile with a 1/16″ grout line is not for the inexperienced, the wrong consistency of the thin set alone will cause lippage.

Lenny E

Been there done that!

That granite product Kowboy was talking about sounds like the technology ‘Buystone” was marketing back in the day (8-10 years ago). It was granite with a backer adhered.

It was pretty amazing. You could take a piece of thin (3/8 inch or less) buystone several feet long, put it between two 4 x 4′ (placed under each end supporting that end, so the piece was unsupported in the middle and jump on it.

It flexed and did not break l (as a normal piece of granite under those conditions may).

I tried the same thing with solid surface back in the mid 90’s. The downside was that  if you turned the piece around (so the backer was on the top) and jumped on it, it would break, both for SS and /or the Buystone!  

Interesting product, to say the least.

KCWOOD

Norm… what you mean, it’s not a DYI project?  Sure it is… don’t you ever watch HGTV?

I was in a Tile shop last week, they had dozens of tile and graniteand marble countertops laid in sample kitchens. I was impressed with the craftsmanship of their work.  Their granite work was nice, really nice. It was the first time I had been around that kind of granite work.

I got some real nice ideas, in fact I have decided to get back into tile laying after years away from it. I just did my first backsplash last week… hell on my back… but it looked nice… in fact when the designer saw it, she just when “damn” where did that come from?? 

Steve Poland

The Kid from Compton is right Granite transformations is who we would like to compete with we do kitchen refacing and they are now pushing that in a big way a lot of advertising! but I was not aware as Kowboy says $60 sq ft when most places around here are $39sq ft installed for a whole new granite top and lord knows you cant give ss away anymore  and telling them about the radon! they wont care if Linda across the street has granite they will not be out done! yet they believe the lead paint BS I know there’s a can of worms   

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Granite Transformations is the only granite that is 1/4″ and comes in larger sheet sizes than just your average tile size.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.