Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Jon Olson
    Hello everyone just leaving for my second day of training . Taking the 10 OSHA safety training course. If you haven’t taken this course you really should. In a nut shell it takes the top ten OSHA safety violations and reviews them.We are also learning how to read all the safety OSHA codes. I always thought we had a pretty good safety program here. I see now we have much to improve on.

The class is at times boring but at the same time pretty educational.

My course instructor happens to be Ken Hanson. One of the writers for Wood Digest another Cygnus publications

Jon..is it a on tour type thing? do you hafta request a seminar?

do they do it for small shops? is the adhesive we use an issue? is keepin it in da refrigerator considered a safety cabinet like they request?

thanx for the heads up and answer my questions when ya get time…in my experience boring classes can save ya lots of money…

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Hey Jon, give us the rundown of the top 10 mistakes.

Jon Olson

We only covered the top 9. As you look at the list you might say Hey those point don’t apply to me. But as you begin studying the points you’ll realize they do to a big degree. Gene you can ask you insurance provider to find you an instructor for your area. Thanks for asking.

I’ll have more on this subject later on.

1-Walking and working surfaces

2-Egress and fire protection

3-Electrical

4-Personal Protective Equipment

5-Machine Guarding

6-Hazard Communication

7-Lock Out tag-out.

8-Welding

9-Confined Space

David Gerard

Where does overall air quality fit in to the top 10? Do all you gents keep your glues and solvents in an air tight vault or the like. I think thats my next step instead of having them just out on shelves. On big job sites in the past , when an osha inspector was in town every body knew one step ahead and all the power cords with replaced end got put up . We were always with good equip , especilay ladders and saftey harnesses. I hate seeing good folks get hurt and by bad equip. Ever see guys pin the guard on a worm drive circular saw flesh is not a good way to stop a carbide blade.

Jon Olson

Hey Dave I think air quality should be in the top ten. For that matter everything concerning safety should be considered Priority Number One. I like the way you think

david, I keep mine in da fridge…its airtight…plus it helps the lifecycle of my glue…I know they also recommend it can be in room temperature…but then its not sealed in a cabinet

Howeva, I know when I eat a sanwich it has a hint of integra mixed in wit da mustard…but i like having a little of what i work with running thru my system…i feel kinda bonded to the material i choose to work with

bigaddyT

Hey all you hard working tax payers…

Do you know that your tax dollars pay for the osha white horse known as osha compliance and if you give them a call they will come and not only teach and train you but will protect you for 18 months from the black horse known as osha enforcement?

Don’t buy into any of these guys selling services to get you compliant or you will be guilty of paying twice for the same thing! If you have money to burn than blow io on tools or something else.

Call them and find out for yourself or just go to their web site and see for yourself…

Jon Olson
    Hey Kevin good information. The class I went to wasn’t to become more complaint but a class to help reinforce the importance of safety in the shop. Money well spent. If you call OSHA how long does it take for them to show up?

David Gerard

Gene, Isuddenly flashed on a “SNL” skitt with Joe Piscapo doing ” I’m From Joyzey….You From Joyzey?” He is giving a tour of the refinery he works at and during lunch some hazardous powder falls his hard hat into his sangwhich whlie eating…. he eats it anyway.

Kevin, if they come out and teach you are you then on their radar?

Yup Joe piscapo was a pretty funny guy…lived about a mile from my town, Joe pesci and frankie Valie was also fro Newark….anyway I was doing the lockout system for years on our saws..I

thought it was so boring and a pain in da butt..but workers can plug it in while you dont know…at least in the lockout cup they hafta unlockto be able to plug the saw in during maintenance…I thought it was stupid til i heard the stories and potential from the rep at the time…Once ya get hurt its too late to do the right thing…thanx for starting this thread of awareness…

Unfortunately one of the things that OSHA cannot regulate is the requirement that an employee shows up for work with his brain cells engaged. His best defense against job site injury, is himself.
    Johnny C

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Is there a list of things to correct those top ten items?

Also, what does it cost to meet those requirements (not that this matters, jsut curious)?

Greg Hodapp
    Posted By Jon Olson on 03/29/2008 11:18 AM

Hey Kevin good information. The class I went to wasn’t to become more complaint but a class to help reinforce the importance of safety in the shop. Money well spent. If you call OSHA how long does it take for them to show up?

Sorry for the slow reply… I’ve been out of town. I met the guy that does the free compliance stuff here in NC and he says all states have this service.

I think that they will respond pretty immediate but he spoke of it taking most shops 4-6 weeks depending upon what they need to work on. They will do it all for you… air samples, the whole works.

Give them a call… no obligation.

scott turi
    Posted By David Gerard on 03/29/2008 11:25 AM

Gene, Isuddenly flashed on a “SNL” skitt with Joe Piscapo doing ” I’m From Joyzey….You From Joyzey?” He is giving a tour of the refinery he works at and during lunch some hazardous powder falls his hard hat into his sangwhich whlie eating…. he eats it anyway.

Kevin, if they come out and teach you are you then on their radar?

Actually you are taken off the radar and protected from them showing up for 18 months.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.