Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Hopefully Gordon will chime in here. What exactly is Cupron and is the material available? Can Cupron just be added to any of the existing colors or are they a whole new pallet of colors?

Lenny E

I think the Cupron material has a copper compound in it as a bacteriostat or anti microbal (like Microban in Silestone etc.).

It could be theoretically added to any pattern, but I think its best to let Gordon clue you into what exactly they are doing with the copper and color palette.

Gordon Shell

Cupron will have its own color pallet separate from the EOS 3cm line. We are finalizing the color pallet and will update the EOS website once it is complete, I will keep everyone posted as things develop.

you can see exactly how Cupron technology works in our surfaces @ http://www.eos-surfaces.com/cupron
    You can see exactly what Cupron is @ http://www.cupron.com

Cupron Enhanced EOS is set for Launch via regional distribution late 1st quarter 2012. Currently EOS Surfaces is working on specification of Cupron Enhanced EOS surfaces on very large hospital projects and furniture applications.

Eos Surfaces llc will have Cupron Enhanced Surfaces on display again next week @ the National Healthcare Expo in Nashville, TN.

I will follow-up with some additional posts for everyone’s info on the product. Because of the propietary technology of the product I will be limited on how deep I can go with questions at this time, I will do my best.

The Cupron is VERY different from Microban. Cupron is not a surface applied pesticide, and cannot be worn off, the technology is carefully dispersed thru the sheet and continues to be active for the life of the sheet without losing effectiveness.

Gordon Shell

Here is a more indepth description of the technology…………………….

How Cupron Enhanced EOS Works

Since Egyptian times, Copper has been known as a microbial killer. While the exact reasons for copper’s negative effect on microbes are not fully known, it is generally agreed that copper ions cause a series of damaging effects on bacterial, fungal, and viral cells. Some of the common theories are that the copper causes leakage of potassium or glutamate through the cells’ outer membrane; the copper disturbs the osmotic balance; the copper binds to proteins that do not require copper; and copper causes oxidative stress by generating hydrogen peroxide.

By combining the extremely hygienic, non-porous nature of EOS Solid Surface with the tested, cutting edge technology of Cupron, Eos is able to offer hospitals, schools, military facilities, hospitality, and homeowners a defense against the rising tide of the planet’s microbes. Every sheet of Cupron Enhanced EOS Solid Surface is infused with Cupron technology on all exposed surfaces. Hence, no matter where the sheet is cut, or what part of the sheet is exposed, the Cupron copper-oxide is present.

Cupron is not a film or liquid chemical application. In fact, the Cupron technology within the EOS slabs can actually be seen by the human eye. The infusion of Cupron technology into the EOS makes the power and effectiveness of the copper indefinite. It cannot be worn off or become less effective over time.

EPA Testing

Cupron Enhanced EOS, with Cupron, Inc., is engaged in ongoing consultation with the EPA. The company recently received approval for all of its testing protocols as well as approval for the use of Public Health Claims language for Cupron Enhanced EOS upon the completion of this final phase of testing. We will bring you updates as we proceed through the end stage of this process.

Gordon Shell

http://youtu.be/IsYhUQcj7R8

Above you will find a great video from youtube showing the effectiveness of copper.

We did not produce this video, it is from the Antimicrobial Copper website and youtube, it is very informative for how copper works.

What we have done is harnessed the power of Copper thru Cupron and added it to solid surface materials, thus providing an antimicrobial product that will be able to be implemented into areas where solid surface would be ideal, such as: Countertops, wall cladding, chair rail, furniture, elevator cabs, nurses stations, etc.

Gordon Shell

Q: Can Cupron Tecnology be added to our existing color pallet?

A: Currently the coloring of the Cupron technology limits us from just adding it to our current color offering, we are working on an initial color pallet of 6 colors.
        We do know that the design community works heavily off of color and design but we have found in our initial presentations of the surface that the technology and what it does far out weighs the limited color selection. The hospitals and medical commucity that have seen the product have not been concerned with a limited color offering, instead they have been amazed by the product and what it can do in their facilities.

Here is a picture of one of our colors under a jewelers lens @ 10X

Gordon Shell

Here is another great video that shows the importance of Copper in the medical enviorment. Again, we do not produce these videos, they are found all over the internet when you reserach copper technology.

http://youtu.be/bZ4seVc7V1Y

Gordon Shell

Above is one of our other colors that we had on display at the Medical Expo in Chicago.
    The bowl in the picture is not enhanced with Cupron but we do plan on having a line of protected bowls for use with our sheets.

Gordon Shell

Copper is gaining popularity very quickly, below is an article from the Wall Street Journal dated October 24th, 2011……………..

NEW YORK—A study that showed copper kills bacteria on contact points to an expansion of possible uses for the industrial metal, which is already found in a range of products.

The prospect of hospitals around the world installing copper surfaces, amid other applications of the metal, have copper producers predicting an increase in demand.

However, efforts to use more copper in medical environments are still largely in the research stage, and it’s unclear whether a significant increase in consumption of the metal will result.

“Certainly, it’s one of several potential sources of demand growth for copper over the next few years,” said Nicholas Snowdon, a base-metals analyst with Barclays Capital. “It’s something that’s been on the radar for some time, but it’s still not known what degree of uptake there’s going to be.”

Concerns about demand for copper have driven futures prices for much of this year. Strong demand from China, the world’s No. 1 consumer of the metal, helped futures traded in New York settle above $4.60 a pound in February, an all-time high, while concern that the euro zone’s debt crisis would cause a global economic slowdown sent prices to just above $3 Thursday. On Friday, copper for October delivery settled at $3.2190, up 5.4%.

The study, funded by the U.S. Department of Defense, found copper surfaces in rooms in intensive-care units cut the amount of bacteria in the rooms by 97% and reduced the rate of hospital-acquired infections by 41%. The copper was tested on a variety of bacteria, including a strain of E. coli and MRSA, a type of staph bacteria that can be difficult to treat.

“If this research translates…we could potentially cut the cost of hospital-acquired infections,” said Dr. Michael Schmidt, vice chairman of microbiology and immunology at the Medical University of South Carolina, who led the study.

Approximately one out of every 20 hospitalized patients will contract an infection related to their health care while in the hospital, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Mr. Schmidt said copper’s superior ability to conduct electricity is what helps the metal prevent the spread of germs. All living things generate electricity, and when bacteria come in contact with a copper surface, the metal siphons off their electrons, leaving them without energy, he said.

The metal does this naturally, requiring no human intervention, he said.

Global adoption of antimicrobial copper by the health-care industry could see world copper demand increase by upward of 500,000 metric tons a year, said Jurgen Leibbrandt, executive vice president of commercial development at the world’s largest copper-mining company, Chilean state-owned Corporacion del Cobre de Chile, or Codelco. Codelco donated copper to intensive-care units across Chile last year.

The company also signed a collaboration agreement with Chile’s rapidly expanding subway network to ensure future stations will be outfitted with copper handrails instead of stainless steel or plastic.

“If you add in the public-transport sector, that number could be one million metric tons” a year of increased demand, Mr. Liebbrandt said.

Analysts are more cautious about the impact of antimicrobial applications on the global copper market

Gordon Shell

Hopefully I haven’t “Over Chimed in”, as you can see we are very excited about our new technology, please let me know if you have any other questions and I will do my best to answer what I can.

Regional Distribution will be in place for our 2012 launch, please check our website often, things are happening fast!

We will also send out an informational eblast very soon with more to follow, if you wish to be on our mailing list for our eblast send me an email @ gordon@eos-surfaces.com and I will add you to the list (we will not spam you, we only send eblasts approx once per month or less)

Thanks

Gordon Shell

Cupron Technology begins with creating copper oxide powder by preparing natural, recycled, copper. This allows us to combine the copper oxide with a substrate material, like polyester, in a specific ratio, to form very small particles of what we call “Masterbatch”. Masterbatch provides the flexibility to easily “add” Cupron Technology to a variety of fibers, solid surfaces, and polymers as a simple additive to the normal manufacturing process of the fiber, or polymer. The Cupron masterbatch is blended into the process of making the fiber or polymer at a specific concentration similar to adding other additives like color. There is virtually no change to existing manufacturing processes nor is there any special equipment required to incorporate Cupron Technology.

Gordon Shell

All of the copper used in Cupron is Recycled.

Gordon Shell

These are Cupron exclusive videos of the Cupron technology used in other products.

http://youtu.be/YF0p9tCza2c– Cupron in medical masks

http://youtu.be/gZhum1korG0– Cupron on news story

http://youtu.be/rlzWtD25dVk– Cupron on CBS news, regarding Chilian miners

Lenny E

Posted By Gordon Shell on 07 Nov 2011 03:01 PM
    Cupron will have its own color pallet separate from the EOS 3cm line. We are finalizing the color pallet and will update the EOS website once it is complete, I will keep everyone posted as things develop.

you can see exactly how Cupron technology works in our surfaces @ http://www.eos-surfaces.com/cupron
    You can see exactly what Cupron is @ http://www.cupron.com

Cupron Enhanced EOS is set for Launch via regional distribution late 1st quarter 2012. Currently EOS Surfaces is working on specification of Cupron Enhanced EOS surfaces on very large hospital projects and furniture applications.

Eos Surfaces llc will have Cupron Enhanced Surfaces on display again next week @ the National Healthcare Expo in Nashville, TN.

I will follow-up with some additional posts for everyone’s info on the product. Because of the propietary technology of the product I will be limited on how deep I can go with questions at this time, I will do my best.

The Cupron is VERY different from Microban. Cupron is not a surface applied pesticide, and cannot be worn off, the technology is carefully dispersed thru the sheet and continues to be active for the life of the sheet without losing effectiveness.

Gordon,

Congatualtions on Cupron. However, with BS marketing claims aside (surface applied pesticide, that made me smile ), its not all that different from some of the Microban products.

Microban has many solutions for microbal resistance. The ones I worked with in the past included collodial silver compounds that were included in the formula and were dispersed throughout the depth of the sheet. As the sheet wore down, it always exposed more of the compound.

I wish you the best of luck with the Cupron product.

Gordon Shell

Microban is a very effective technology. Cupron technology is VERY different from Microban.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.