Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    JasonCarr

I have a remodler that Im doing my first paid job for concrete   wise.  i’ve done 4 jobs for friends  and materials only jobs to get some experience.  The job is for an engineer for alocal power company and hes spent a ton of money  for a bathroom remodel and the remodelers called  me because he wanted concrete and it was”in the picture”.  The picture is fromsome magazine that has a 20 x 20 bathroom in some million dollar home.  he has a 8 X 12 bathroom and he goes in the remodel area witha level and a tape measure every evening and emails the remodeler every evening with a  retarded punch list. to include a vanity…  the vanity has 3 sections per say it has a wall on the left side and a knee wall on the right. when I templated the job the vanity was not available. I received a fax from the cabinet shop uilding the top and the top is shaped like a  t

l                   l
                                      l
                  l__________
    I was under the assumption that since the vanity wasnt available at template that  he would want the standard 1  1/4 over hang..  no “its not like the picture” and I don’t like it….  and hes nit picked the simplest things and its killing me.  Its my first real job and I’m wondering since I didn’t have hime “sign the template”  can I charge a change order fee or am I screwed and have to suck up the repour?????
    Andy Graves
    Keymaster

I would do the change order and see what happens. What do you have signed from him stating and specific terms of the contract?

If you don’t have anything stating specific items with specific dimensions, then industry standards would hold up in court. You could also place a lien on the property to get him to reconsider.

I think a lot of people get pushed around by over bearing customers. They bitch so they get things for free and expect unrealistic details to be perfect.

Keep in mind if you don’t satisfy him you will get bad word of mouth. Although, if he is a big a-hole, most people won’t listen to him anyway.

Do you have a picture to post?

JasonCarr

Andy the Change order didn’t work. When I talked to the remodeler   a little more they Apparently bought this business a year ago and they are still having beginners woes like I am.  I asked them If he wanted another change order for anything to add 100.00  for materials and fuel for repeated trips to the job site.   They remembered to charge him the change order  for the vanity rebuild because he didn’t like the  2 inch protrusion in the middle of the cabinet. Now he only wants it to stick out 3/4 of an inch” because thats the way it looks in the picture”  But they didn’t include my request on the change order.  so I’m still pouring another slab when the vanity comes back again…..

Momma said there were going to be days like this
    As for pictures, I told them to keep the top and  put it in their showroom  to show  new clients since I can’t do anything with it… Had to salvage some of the cost and I classified it as a advertising expense..
    Any other  suggestions???

Len Smith

Get a shop drawing approved before you do your next job. Draw exactly what you will be producing: thickness, edge profiles, finishes, colors sink type, cutout size, faucet type and hole size and locations, back splash, everything. Before you produce the top, get the GC to review it with you and sign it off. At the bottom have a notice that once approved, any changes will be by change order only.

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Posted By Len Smith on 13 Jun 2012 01:17 PM

Get a shop drawing approved before you do your next job. Draw exactly what you will be producing: thickness, edge profiles, finishes, colors sink type, cutout size, faucet type and hole size and locations, back splash, everything. Before you produce the top, get the GC to review it with you and sign it off. At the bottom have a notice that once approved, any changes will be by change order only.

We are in the process of switching to CounterGo from Moraware to eliminate these exact issues. The program allows a novice to create quick drawings to scale and then produces a price from the drawing.

Custom forms can be made like quotes and contracts for the customer to sign.

JasonCarr

I just went to thiier website and right now 99 a month for me is a little steep. If I was averaging a couple of kitchens a month I could warrant the fees.. Do any of the programs run on an Ipad????

Len Smith

Check out Google sketch-up, for free. I’m amazed at what I see some people doing with it.

You can also create the drawings using CAD. There is a free CAD program called Draftsight that has enough features to create submittal drawings. http://www.3ds.com/products/draftsight/overview/

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.