Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Troll42

What is the best “bang for the buck” machine, workstation, cnc,???,,for undermount sinks?  

Mostly kitchen sinks, some vanity sinks.  I need a machine that will complete 1 sink an hour!!! 

I am very busy and do not have time with “WANNABE’s”!! 

I need a machine that walks the walk!!  If it costs a little more but does the job day in and day out I will pay it!!!

I am currently running 3 CNC’s and they need to keep running the specialty edges. I have tried to commit 1 cnc to just running sinks but the lag time from program to work to complete is too long.

Any and all suggestions will be appreciated.  I DO NOT want any machine that has not been on the market for less than a couple of years.  I have been burned before on PROMISES,  I am looking for Performance!!!

Thank You for your time!!!

You already have the best bang for the buck! 3 of them actually by your words. CNC’s with the right tooling will complete your task faster then the 1 hour you are seeking.
    The Fab King Work center is made to do what you want and has been around for a while. I’ve only seen it at shows so I don’t know how well it actually works. Regents and Gran quartz sell them.

Troll42

You would think that the CNC’s would be my answer, and you would be wrong!!!   They are so busy with the upgraded edges that I am struggling to find time to get a sink in sideways!!!
    I am looking for a machine that is specifically for sinks!!!
    It has the potential to become more valuable to me than the CNC’s!!!
    I need to contact someone that is using a Fab King.  I would like to hear some pro’s and con’s about it.

Norm Walters

Troll, maybe some zoloft would help. Is it me or does it seem like when reading these posts that you are being grabbed by the neck and yelled at. Just sayin, chill bro.

Troll42

Maybe I am in the wrong place with my questions?
    I am “under the gun” because I am unable to get qualified polishers to help get footage.  So, in turn, I am looking to free up the personel that I can count on by getting a machine that will do the work for me.  And we all know that that is the most efficient way of doing business.
    So, I ask that if you are not going to be of assistance and interject an answer that is appropriate to my question, do not post.
    Thank You.

KCWOOD

Posted By Troll42 on 22 Apr 2011 09:29 AM
    Maybe I am in the wrong place with my questions?
    I am “under the gun” because I am unable to get qualified polishers to help get footage.  So, in turn, I am looking to free up the personel that I can count on by getting a machine that will do the work for me.  And we all know that that is the most efficient way of doing business.
    So, I ask that if you are not going to be of assistance and interject an answer that is appropriate to my question, do not post.
    Thank You.

Troll… let me interject… First.. you know that is the nickname of Kowboy…

There are days there is not that much activity on this forum. For you to post and expect an answer in a few hours is probably not gonna happen.  There are not that many stone fabs on this site, compared to the Stone Forums.

One of the rules I was taught in business long ago, If I need to know something, I can make 3 phone calls to find the answer. . Each person I call, if they do not know the answer, will know someone who does.
    It has worked with me for 30 yrs, including the last few when i knew nothing about countertops.  You should try it, you might find it will work great!
    I know nothing about stone fabrication, but I bet I can make a few phone calls and find out. Don’t you get trade magazines. attend shows?  Your question puzzles me, along with your tone of your post… 

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Maybe you are in the wrong place.

Good luck with your search.

Andy
    FabNet Administrator

Brian Stone

You have the two most popular options for polishing sink cutouts. Either polish on the CNC or polish by hand. We go through 4 metals on the router and then polish by hand.

How many hours a day are you running the shop? Maybe the answer is to add more hours to the day (work multiple shifts) instead of buying more machines. Also, just how much are you doing on the machines currently? Right now are you polishing everything on the routers? What tooling are you using? Do you have any other machines that could handle the profiling and backsplash like a multi head machine or a line machine?

Troll42

Hey Brian,,,are you cutting the hole with the router?
    shop runs 22 hours a day, 2 shifts. 2 hours for maintence. 2 in line machines run 2 full shifts for deck pieces, 1 machine does splash and any small pieces that will not go through the other machines. CNC’s (all 3) are scheduled out at least a week in advance. All sinks right now are rodded and cut and polished by hand. I am unable to find qualified polishers and it takes a while to train a person and then even longer for them to be productive.
    SO !!! I need to free up time for the guys that can produce. if they average 1 1/2 to 2 hours a bowl, 2 times a day on a 10-12 hour day?? You see where I can get alot more footage if the bowl is 90% completed for them!!!
    thanks for the feedback!!

Brian Stone

We cut the sink cutouts on the router.

What are you using to cut the pieces that go on the router? Are you oversizing the pieces and cutting down with a fingerbit or super Z? Are you using locating pins?

Troll42

Brian, do you have a name for the router? How about a link or something? I am not understanding your process, but I want to hear what you got going on. thank you!

Brian Stone

We run Northwood SW138 routers.

http://northwoodmachine.com/Stoneworks/CNC_Machining/Models/SW138-EDS.aspx

I’d say that it takes around 6-7 minutes to use a fingerbit to make the cutout. Then about 10-15 to run 4 metal profile tools. After the part is finished running we set it up on a work bench and polish by hand using 4″ pads and a pneumatic polisher – we use Alpha AIR-658 polishers. The average kitchen sink cutout probably takes the guys 20 minutes to polish.

Elegant

Brain,  is ther SW138 router a CNC machine or smaller unit?  We are looking at a better way to cut sink.  Right now the guys are using a concave blade on an angle grinder.  We are a small shop, so a CNC is our of our range.  I was looking at some better alternative.  

Anybody have any suggestions.  I was thinking some type of Radial arm work station maybe link the Patriot Rebel from Granite City Tool.  

Thanks

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Hello Elegant,

Brian is no longer in the industry. There are dedicated sink cutout machines that will cut a sink with a straight bit and template rather than a concave blade.

jaysam

There ar days there’s not that a lot of activity on this forum. For you to post and expect a solution in a very few hours is maybe not gonna happen.  There don’t seem to be that several stone fabs on this website, compared to the Stone Forums.

One of the foundations i used to be tutored in business some time past, If i want to grasp one thing, I will build three phone calls to seek out the solution. . every person I decision, if they are doing not apprehend the solution, shaper machine manufacturer can apprehend somebody United Nations agency will.

It has worked with Maine for thirty years, as well as the previous few once I knew nothing regarding countertops. you must attempt it, you would possibly notice it’ll work great!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.