Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author

Tom M wrote

Kevin,

What I don’t get, after reading more and more comments to homeowners on these sites, is when a stone fab guy/gal obfuscates the sealant and bacteria issues. While it is not a lie to remark that some stones don’t need sealant, it is a very limited group. That info is almost always put out as if it kills the argument. What’s up with that?

The idea that stone can’t harbor (note, I did not say feed) bacteria is rather specious as well. Again, some stones are resistant, but that hardly negates the point. Yet the stone folks say it as if it settles the issue.

As for the new kick about resin (I know, it’s been around a long time, but it is only recently getting heavy notice), why bother putting a resin on your surface if there wasn’t an issue in the first place? I’m not trying to be flip, here, but it seems as though a lot of these posters are arguing partial points and claiming that dissent on that is simply not acceptable.

This is the frustrating part about about there being so many variables in stone and how it reacts/behaves. Nothing wrong with pointing out these facts, but if it addresses only 10 – 20% of the issue at hand, then it doesn’t fully address the issue.

Am I reading this wrong?

I guess since most of us still use public restrooms and open our hotel rooms by the door handle this is another issue that is just blown way out of porportion… what more can I say?

What about the next set of sheets you slip into on that hotel mattress?

Geez let’s give it a break!

Steve Moore

Tom,

save your breath (or fingers) with this bunch. As I have said before, civil debate is impossible when they can not afford to concede even what is common sense.

You won’t get an honest answer out of them, nice of you to try though.

Kevin,

Nah , It really isn’t something blown out of proportion. Yes we have health risk with the things you stated, but do we not know how to handle them?

I beleive the issue that I am trying to get help with is this. With all the variables and differring opinions on stone and sealers and the like what do we honestly tell a homeowner who wants to disinfect their tops on a regular bases. I read the consumer forums and some others and as Tom stated the issue seems to get skirted or their is conflicting info so how are we to help?

Many will never be comfortable with just soap and water and want something stronger, well if they use it and the stone they choose is on that needs sealed to help with “absorption” issues will it effect it. If the answer to this is yes then how much more ofeten should they be concerned with checking for sealing issues?

I hope to not upset you, but are theses not legitamate questions and concerns to help assure the customer is happy with thier countertop?

Reuben

mike y

It doesn’t upset me Rueben… I use common sense and wash my hands with soap and water when I use any public restroom. Common sense will keep us all safe.

Well, it is nice that KD washes his hands well after using the restroom. Personally, I just am much more careful. Not like they charge for the T.P. or something….

Tom M

Kevin,

I’m sorry, I’m not sure what you mean. I’m not questioning the top, I’m questioning the obfuscation.

I’m not asking this to bust butt.

Monty Black

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obfuscation

Sorry for any confusion… I am just tired of all the propaganda and bashing. I’ve got tops to make and am just a little overwhelmed right now.

I need to get back to work!

David Gerard

Kevin, you have to admit it’s a hell of a lot more fun over here ain’t it ? going downstairs to work the night shift myself.

M.J. Harvey

See guys, I once asked nicely, as you all have done and got about the same response except KD has been more polite. Back them in a corner and they decide they have better things to do. Ask questions and get labeled a basher and propogandast. (sp?).

I was talking to a nice lady today while waiting for a customer to get to the stone yard. She was asking about using a 15″ overhang on a marble conference table, said one shop warned her not to so she was not going to use that shop, instead was going with another that said the overhang would be fine. The remark that suprised me the most was “after all, it is stone, what could happen to it?

I just love the yard owner there, very straight forward about the negative aspects of stone with consumers. Later she gave the customer a great endorsment of our shop, after the customer went back to look again at some marble slabs. The lady called that afternoon and we went through attributes of stone and overhangs, hopefully got her walking on solid ground between what they want and what is possible.

An associates wife that got pressed into furnishing the new law firm, multiple factions of old cheap lawyers and the young turk lawyers, so a slip up would probally cost her husband his job. Smart lady though, when talking to her, she would recount something the yard owner had told her, figuring out that the owner was being subtle yet direct.

Bad thing was before she talked to me, she talked to an honest shop owner, a honest slab broker and an idiot yet she was believing the idiot…..

15″ overhang should be no problem if the substrate for build up was 1 1/4 sq steel tubing with a 6 cm edge!

Goodnight all!

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.