Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Mike Cannon

Does anyone know of proper tooling to use to plane down the thickness of solid surface material on the cnc. Right now we are using a 1/4″ diameter spiral upcut. It performs well as far as chipping goes but the time it takes is astronomical.  We are also interested in perfoming a 1 1/2″ wide by 1/4″ deep rabbet  to receive a drop edge around the perimeter of the counter.  Someone please offer some suggestions.

Steve , NY

I use a cheap Grizzly (C1011Z)bit for the dato around the back of the countertop where the backsplash gets glued on.

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

This is an 1 1/4″ bit that I used to plane down a large section of material. Can’t go that fast but if it’s sharp, the bit does a nice job with one pass.

Mike Cannon

Andy,
    Is that a double flute bit? Do your rpms remain the same and just slow down the feed rate?
    Thanks

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Yes it is double flute but only because I had this bit in the drawer so I used it. Not sure if this is the right thing to use but it worked.

We slowed the feed down until is sounded like it was cutting without stress. The prescribed feeds and speeds never seem to be right when cutting solid surface so we just guess and then adjust once it starts.

Fab Man

A bit late to contribute to this request. This is the cutter I use to plane down the thickness of acrylic solid surface.

Onsrud product with insert cutter tips. Comes in 1-1/2″, 2-1/2″ and 4″ diameters.

Michael

Also a bit late but I use a 35 mm bottom trim TCT bit and works very very well for surfacing. I agree with Andy in that the feed and speed setting tends to be off for solid surfaces but I get some really nice cutting with mine. Strongly suggest high quality dust shoe vacuum though to keep dust under control (even with good feed rates I still get a bit of dust and not something you want to inhale).

Next Time I am doing a section with write down what I am doing and post it as a way for folks to get an idea of F&S vs DOC.

-Michael

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.