Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Lenny E

Hi Tom,

I worked on the glow in the dark laminate for International paper, and also for Formica. I saw one at Laminex in the AU.

It will never be introduced, because it is too costly. But its neat too see. You can write your name and phone number on it with a laser pointer so the buxom gal sitting next to you at the bar can see it glowing in the dark. Beats a cocktail napkin hands down!.  🙂

how do we get it…who cares what it costs…the customer pays for it not us…camon get me some of that stuff lenny…does it glow the same way as Lumistone…or will you need to paint the back to bring out the white color more being as it would be thinner than the SS version

Lenny E

Green Genie, 

The glow isnt as strong as Lumistone (BTW I sold my interest in that company, if that dog woulda had legs it woulda walked by now).

Man I dont know, call them Formica or Laminex folks. I just worked on it and thought it was cooler than a polar bears hindparts. I do not think they ever ran any production or even optimized it

Ask the powers that be, Im just a lowly patent holding consultant.

Mea culpa, mea maxi culpa.

Tom M

Lenny-san,
    The cocktail napkin will still be in her pocket once the buzz wears off. Unfortunately, so will her interest in why it was there.
    With my luck the buxom gal might be called George, so no loss there.

Still, put me in the Green Genie camp. I want some!

Lenny E

Tom,

As you are well aware, the price point for laminate makes it a pennies per sq ft biz. The powers that be decided that the pricepoint (which would be expensive due to RMs involved) did not justify indroducing it. They thought it would result in very limited  market share.

I countered, it will draw people to your sample chain. Even though they may not purchase the glow in the dark laminate, it would induce them to have a look at your other offerrings and infuse the laminate industry with a sense of cutting edge “newness”.

I just mentioned the product, because laminate is an old technology and commodity product, but you can still derive innovation from beating that ole horse.

IMO Design is the key, to any surfacing product, be it commodity or not.

Tom M

I agree, and offer an example to prove your point.
    We sell a lot of WilsonArt HD material for our tops. The material is about triple the price of regular laminate. That sounds like a lot, until you realize that labor is about 80% or more of the cost of the top. That means the material costs affect very little of the price in general. The average top costs the customer about $150.00 bucks extra, for a much better material.

Steve Mehan

I’ve purchased glow in the dark laminate it in the past from ABET Laminati color # 741 Lumiphos. There site shows its still available.

Lenny E

Thanx Steve for the heads up on Lumiphos.

Tom M

Thanks, Steve!

Greenie – did you read that?

yes…I’ll look into it too..and see if I can find someone to buy some of it off me

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.