Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Hi Pros, 

I’m a consumer that recently had some super white quartzite installed. I have two issues I’d love to get some pro advice on. 
    1 – There’s a crack running the whole length of the slab from the backsplash the end of the bullnose. Not sure if this happened during installation or if it was there previously. 
    Two questions – is it an issue? should i ask for some sort of discount from the store?
    2 – There are a couple of really odd marks near the seam, which seem like they were part of the fabrication process. 
    Three questions – what are these marks? Is this poor work, or normal (I’ve never seen this in anyone else’s home)? and can it be fixed or will filling with resin look worse. 
    Thanks in advance. 
    Andy Graves
    Keymaster

I can’t see the crack in the picture.

Are you referring to the black marks in the corner and to the left of the image?

Chris Yaughn

More and better pictures are needed for anything close to a professional opinion.

Hi Guys, 

Sorry for the delay in getting more photos up. Here they are. 
    Andy Graves
    Keymaster

I still don’t see the crack but that mark looks man made.

Is it a mitered edge?

Chris Yaughn

The white cuts almost look like saw overcuts, that were filled with something that was too white and the a really bad sharpie job to try and blend it in. Those marks are not OK, and could be fixed to look a lot better. If I am looking at it right.

I do not see the “crack” either.

Thanks guys. Very helpful.

The crack was in a different spot and wasn’t pictured. I’ve been told that cracks are common with this material (even if they fun the full length of the counter).

David Gerard

I’m suprized to see a sharp corner. Wouldn’t rounded corners help resist cracking?

Mark Meriaux

Fissures are prevalent in this material and should be of little concern once the tops are set in place and well supported. They tend to be more problematic to us fabricators when we are moving and handling the pieces.

As for the dark spots, I agree with Chris……those appear to be lackluster repair attempts at filling saw marks. I would see if the fabricator can dig out and repair those with a better color match. If they are unable/unwilling, then a discount might be another option if you are prepared to live with them as-is.
    Tom M

We just put in our first Super White quartzite top. I had no idea they were as fragile as they are. The mesh on the back was our first tip.

I would never have a square inside corner on that, unless that’s where they put the seam. If as, that was a lame mistake with the saw.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.