Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Kast
    This may or not be the right forum,  so I apologize if I posted it in the wrong area.

We had this sink and countertop installed by a Big Box store a few weeks back. The sink was installed new, straight out of the box.

The sink was installed and glued by the installers from the store, using a silicone-based (but not pure silicone) adhesive. Within a few days, a slightly lighter, very subtly shiny discoloration happened around the ring of the sink. It seemed to grow very, very slowly and seems to have stopped where it is at now.

See here for photos:

It’s not hard-water staining. It only appears where the sink touches the countertop.

We contacted the store and they had no idea what it is, the installers have no idea what it is, and the manufacturer claims it not a defect.

That said – what is it? The store has offered to work with us, up to and including removing the old sink and reinstalling a new one at their cost. I don’t mind going that route, but since they are going to install it using the exact same method, there’s nothing guaranteeing this won’t happen again.

Any idea what would cause this? And any insight as to if we should have it replaced? Or simply take a cash credit of the cost of the sink and leave it as is?

Thanks!
    Norm Walters

100% clear silicone should have been used for the install. In my opinion whatever was in the goop they used caused the problem.

Kast

Posted By Norm Walters on 12 May 2013 05:49 PM

100% clear silicone should have been used for the install. In my opinion whatever was in the goop they used caused the problem.

Is clear silicone enough to hold the sink to the granite, being an undermount? There’s nothing underneath the sink holding it up.

Chris Yaughn

There should be some type of mechanical anchors also holding the sink up. Stone blocks, clips, anchors, sink rails, wood, etc…. Something to hold the sink in place until the silicone cures.

If there is no mechanical anchor at all, that is another issue I would discuss with the installer.

Chris Yaughn

Just looked at the picture.

In all likelihood that is just sloppy caulk work and will clean up with denatured alcohol and elbow grease.

Tom M

But as Chris said earlier, there needs to be more than just the adhesive holding it in place. Their needs to be some kind of mechanical method, like those he mentioned. With heavier sinks they should use the sink rails or the wood blocking, in my opinion.

David Gerard

yep, need fasteners. I have re installed several sinks from other installers who did not use fasteners.

Tom M

Doing one of those on Friday.

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Have them come out and try to clean the silicone with denatured alcohol or even acetone. Check to see if either product will damage the product by talking with the manufacturer. Scrub the silicone off the sink and see if that fixes it.

Then get some type of mechanical fasteners up there to hold this in place. Silicone is not enough to hold it long term.

If you need to replace the sink, make sure they do not get the silicone on the sink.

kevinp

It is possible to change the look of composite sinks using acetone if you’re to aggressive.
    If it’s not caulk residue I would suspect they used acetone.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.