Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author

Joe, I moved from Erie to Cleveland, to Seattle, back to Maryland, and then to VA. Love VA the best of all the moves. Great job climate, people here spend money and the skilled labor pool is very low so getting a job here in a skilled labor arena is pretty easy. Hell, I’d hire you in a heartbeat if I was further along in building my business. But since I just started, it may take me a while. If I get to that point before the Erie winter sets in again, I will give you a jingle to see where you are at. Good luck.

joe

Just an update, but we made the leap in august. Currently in Charleston, SC. Found a job with a great company running the solid surface shop. Looking to bring in more commercial work. It appears that most homeowners and homebuilders are granite lovers, lol. Oh, and now you can add CNC operator to my resume! My first major task was setting up a Stratos Pro. Interesting to say the least. Have a great day all!!

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Pretty cool. Good to hear you like it. Using a CNC for solid surface is magic. Cuts out great and you will be amazed at the increased speed of fabrication.

joe

CNC is the method i am used to. Installing and setting one up is new, lol. I gotta give credit to the current old school fabricators we have. They are very fast and accurate. The CNC is a hard sell to them, but once they see me cut out 10+ sheets before lunch and start running all of our cove, that should fix any reservations, lol. I finally used a Betterly covevrouter for the first time. Nice tool, but the CNC will be way faster and sanding will be easier. Fingers crossed!

KCWOOD

I’m in Greenville SC right now. Most awesome place I have been. Economy looks strong here, 2 hrs from mountains,  4 hrs from ocean. Friendliest place I have visited. 

I got behind a car with a state personalized license plate, Sons of the Confederacy with a flag on it. 
    There is a gun store on every corner. Schools are awesome , traffic is no problem at all . 
    joe

It sure is different than the north. I though i was a redneck gun nut, lol. I am 15 minutes from the ocean. Even when i am stuck in traffic, the view is appealing in the sense that the ocean is on one side and the intercoastal or some swampy marsh is on the other. The biggest downside is the humidity. But yeah, economy is much better here. Most of our work is new developments. Listening to the news confirms that it isnt going to slow down anytime soon.

David Gerard

Before our daughter went into high school we had thought of moving to Maine for just 5 years. We thought it would be good to experience life on the outside again. Aside from our daughter saying “absolutely not” our new business endeavor doing tops was in full swing.
    The new plan is to get this kid through college and then travel through out the states for long periods of say 1-2 months at a time. Hit some music fests, thats if they are not too crowded. I can do standing in lines.
    I feel like I miss out sometimes of not being able to drive to different places if I want. I feel for my Hawaiian neighbors in that regard.
    Love to see Ashville NC sometime. I hear it’s a great place. Lots of art.
    For now I just have to stay put, going on 34 years here.

Lenny E

Hey check out Texas!

Booming economy!

No state tax!

Coastal views , gun nuts galore, we have everything!

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

You have pretty high property tax from what I understand. Is that correct? California is about 2.2%

Lenny E

Yep Sales taxes are high too Andy …..6.25% to 8.25% depending upon county.  Compared to Kali I think you have a base rate of 7.5% that goes to 9% depending upon municipality, if my information is correct. 

But we buy the majority of our stuff on the Inet…so no state sales Tax! Whoo Hoo!

Property taxes vary , but they are high……3.14% IN MY COUNTY.

But then again the 2 acre property I bought with a 8 year old brick home designed by the purchaser and not a cookie cutter home (2200 sq feet with 3 large outbuildings not included in sq footage) and pond would go for over a million in a lot of Kali, instead of the mere 150 grand I paid for it. I was lucky, I purchased in Jan 2009 at the bottom of the trough of the housing debacle meltdown. They say timing is everything! 

So all in all, I love Texas! Even though I am in China working my hindparts off to pay the bills most of the time! 
    I get to retire to Texas if I don’t drop dead first at my desk working to pay for Obamacare!  
    KCWOOD

David,
        My sister travels from Houston Texas for these events.

http://mountaindulcimer.ning.com/ev…er-weekend

Yes lots of Music Festivals all around the mountains of Tenn and NC

David Gerard

KC, you are in the heart some some fine Americana music.
    A well known guitar builder and player too, Henderson guitars out of Rugby NC.
    thanks for the link

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.