Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    joe

So,   I live in NW PA, and I am tired of the climate.  Me and my family are done with the snow.  The opportunities appear better down south.  We love the ocean and would prefer to be within driving distance.  What’s the scoop on the job market, housing, etc..   I love my current job, but we are ready for a move.  The google ads are no help and way too broad.  Lets face it, there are not a lot of countertop specific people out there.  Any thoughts or comments would be great!  Thanks!!

-Joe
    Tom M

My folks winter in Cape Canaveral and the real estate market their is hurting. Houses in great areas are going very cheap. The problem is the economy there is worse than elsewhere due to the space program failing.

The upshot is I doubt there would be an awful lot of success for a start up.

Joe,
    I spend many many years in NW PA.. (Erie). I moved to Northern VA 13 years ago and the housing market is hot again as well as the job market. Unfortunately, there is no ocean close but we have the Potomac River, if you consider floating tampons, condoms, surgical gloves and general garbage floating by part of the charm of DC????
    Check out the housing market on Zillow and see what Monster has for jobs. It’s expensive to live here as far as housing, but the area is diverse and full of high priced politicians.

Mark Meriaux

If you’re interested in stone, there are a few SFA guys that have posted positions available recently. You can check them out over at http://www.stonefabricatorsalliance.com

joe

Rick, I used to work for Dovetail Galleries in Erie. We did a ton of work in DC. Its a but big and busy for me. I have two teenage girls and a 9 month old son, so a small town with water and rocks would trump rubbers and needles, lol. I’ve been in some really bad areas of DC. I live in Titusville now, so my family enjoys a yard and easy driving.
    Andy, I will check out that site! I prefer the solid surface personally, but I do both now. I love the ability to repair the coriander. Two sink replacements this week, fun. Fun!

joe

Corian … auto correct.

David Gerard

What! sick of snow? I contemplate going south sometimes……. South for me would be like…Maine. Look out Maine!
    Not sure I can cope on the outside anymore though. Folks might learn I have been too isolated for the last 31 years.
    Good luck though!

joe

Dave, Im looking much farther south than Maine, lol South Carolina, Georgia, Havent given much thought to the west coast. Very liberal over that way and I like my woods and guns a bit much…who knows? Any opportunity near the ocean and in a good area will be considered. Maine however, will not. Nothing personal, but snow and cold is something I have seen enough of..

David Gerard

Hey Joe, I knew you were looking farther south. We have 2 seasons, this winter and last winter. My skin has no idea what sunshine is so I take 4000mg of vitamin D daily.

There is a town in the Carolinas Id like to see, Ashville? or that area. Love to see the art scene there.
    Good luck on the search Joe.

Lenny E

The South is cool. I likey the south. People watch each others backs. Everyone has guns. But also there is the occasional lynching of some underwear sniffing perv.

You need to be VERY careful in the south. Dot those I’s and cross those t’s. 

You hear me sonny?
    Jon Olson

Lenny I didn’t know you moved to cuba

Mark Meriaux

….to write rap lyrics with Jay Z.

Tom M

…and Beyonce

joe

Posted By Lenny E on 11 Apr 2013 11:14 PM

The South is cool. I likey the south. People watch each others backs. Everyone has guns. But also there is the occasional lynching of some underwear sniffing perv.

You need to be VERY careful in the south. Dot those I’s and cross those t’s. 

You hear me sonny?

lynching of some underwear sniffing perv??  lol  Wow, thats legal in the south?  Count me in!!!  Im looking pretty hard at Charleston SC.  Old, historic, plenty of jobs..albeit most dont seem to pay much…   Ive been doing the internet search for fab shops and millworking companies and just sending a resume when I find an address.  The job posting sites are junk for finding work i.m.o. 

Has anyone on here just up and moved before?  Kinda intimidating when you look at housing, I would be renting for a bit.  Schools, crime, etc…    I have been spoiled at my current job and city I suppose.   Decent money, nice 5 bedroom, three bathroom house for $725 month in a great neighborhood with a yard that takes forever to mow. (three beers) in town and close to everything.  Hmm…the headscratching continues….
    Sue Turner

I’ve don that twice (up and moved).  Luckily I have a very understanding wife, also we only had to worry about ourselves, no kids.  You have to be willing to do almost any work and live almost anywhere until you get what you want.

We moved from Ca. to Mo. with no job lined up I just had to get out of Ca.  The house we rented was carved out of the side of a hill, basically 2 rooms and the bath room door was an aluminum screen door with 1/4 inch plywood to give some privacy.  Oh also the lock worked from the outside of the bathroom.   You could be locked in but not locked out.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.