Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    ricky

Greetings, new guy here.

I am laying out my kitchen for some new stone, and have a couple questions I hope someone can help me with.
    How narrow can the band comfortably be in front of a cutout, and can this be decreased using rodding? Can rods be outside of the cabinet walls, or do they need to rest on them? Are rods required once installed or are they strictly a transport/ install insurance measure? 
    Thanks!
    Andy Graves
    Keymaster

We use them for transport and installation. The countertop should be sitting flat on a subtop which should prevent the ttop from breaking.

In fact, if there is a seam in the middle of the sink, there is no rodding done.

The band as you refer can be small. There are times when we make it about 2″. Keep in mind that different stones are stronger than other and this can effect the fabrication procedures.

ricky

Thanks Andy

we rod all the time on stones and crete products.and i haven’t got enough experience of the evolution of granite to even know which ones are stronger..I know when i see mesh on the back…oh boy its brittle than others..but it make me feel better especially if they are italian customers..who constantly set that pot of boiling pasta on that little rail to dump into the strainer.

but we even play around with the sink seam rod by extended it and then metal tape the bottom and literally slide the2″ sticking out rod into a goop of knife grade of the other piece..it has tape on the bottom of the stoner also so dont leak out
    not sure if its necessary or if its even right…but then when we use flowing for the seam it gets all in there
    good luck man and do some test in the shop with scraps…then if it looks good throw the example in your showroom
    …if it doesnt look good…well 
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.