Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Vetrazzo and Icestone both promote their green material and manufacturing process which I believe is a good thing.  I do have a question that has not been answered yet.

If you apply three coats of sealer and then put wax over it, how do you remove the wax, completely, so that you can apply more sealer within the following year?  If you use acetone, doesn’t this conflict with the eco friendly part of the material?

Maybe there is some other material that will take care of the wax.

Brian Stone

Wax may scratch off with a razor blade. I would be a little paranoid about damaging the concrete binder though. It works on granite but it (granite) is much harder.

Other than that, I think that chemicals are about the only thing that’s going to dissolve wax. Have you tried searching for “green” wax stripper?

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

No I have not done a search. I thought there may be an obvious answer that I was overlooking. The manufacturers don’t have a good answer yet.

Car products have wax strippers, but not sure how that would work in the kitchen.

Chris Yaughn

I was familiar w/ the 3 coats of green sealer but what is the story on the wax?  I hadn’t heard of that.  Is that w/ Icestone?

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

The wax is to prevent etching from acids and the sealer prevents staining or at least help to reduce the staining.

Brian Stone

I know that Dawn dishwashing liquid will strip car wax. At least carnauba wax will get stripped off…I don’t know about some of the newer compounds.

Posted By Brian Stone on 12 Jun 2009 07:13 AM

I know that Dawn dishwashing liquid will strip car wax. At least carnauba wax will get stripped off…I don’t know about some of the newer compounds.

i’m with him…..clay bars also will strip all way off….i’d use a clay bar with soapy dawn in a cup and try that. Use the soapy water as the lube for the clay.

Topshop

Paper towels and an iron will melt and pull wax out of stone. Maybe that would work but may be kind of slow.

I would not recommend that you ever remove the wax from a Granite Countertops. The wax that is on the countertop is there to protect it from stains. But if you really want to remove wax I would recommend a the product Goof Off. It will remove just about any type of wax and won’t hurt your granite. It will not shine like it is supposed to and it is not made to protect your granite like a granite wax.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.