Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Steve , NY

What is the best way to cut receptacle holes in a 3 cm backsplash(4″ high) for guys without waterjets ?

Phustin

Mark it out start cutout on top then finish on back side couple of diff ways to line cutout with top side like cross cuts. I always keep the splash surface up then cut upwards from bottom so you can watch when to stop cutting if its a long run I put piece of 2cm quartz with clamps over then cutout if the outlet is to tall for the splash I usually tell the home owner to go bigger splash or the option to flip outlet side ways.

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Mark it out on the backside. Start cutting the entire outlet from behind but don’t cut all the way through. Now watch the front and continue cutting until you reach the perimeter of the cutout. On the back you will be long of the outlet.

To make is stronger, you can fill the gaps of the cut with epoxy. Probably not totally necessary but that is what my guys do.

Chris Yaughn

It is a pain no matter how you do it.

Mark it front and back.  On the front cut all sides as deep as you can, without overcutting.   Then connect the corners as deep as you can.  You end up with a rectangle with an “X” in it. 

Flip the splash and cut the lines on the back.  You should connect with the cuts  from the front pretty easy.  Overcut from the back being careful not to go outside of your cuts on the front side.  Pop out the 4 small triangles, and clean up as best you can.

Jphillips

probably a little late but an easy way i’ve found is marking the outlets, make sure the electrical box is flush with the sheetrock and drill 2, 2in. coreholes in the splash so all you have to do is pull the plug through and get screws long enough to get to the holes in the box. you have to clean the middle of the hole out and make damn sure the splash is properly supported, like flat on a clean straight 2×12 pc of wood. lots of stress to the piece while drilling so proper support is key, but in 12 yrs i’ve had more splashes crack from cutting than from drilling

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.