Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    David Gerard

Here is a 1950’s  Silvertone Arch top I was given,  It was left in a shed for years and the old hide glue let loose.   I diecided to rebuild it since it is made out of solid materials.  Not worth much in it’s condition but a good vintage archtop would be spendy to buy.   I tore it down ,  scraped and repaired the top.  The neck is junk so i’ll make another out of figured maple.    I can’t wait to play some old honky tonk on it,  Johnny Horton maybe?

“Hey Hey Mama let your daddy come home”

David, can ya play some Dropkick Murphys on it for me? or how about at least some mellow Metallica….or at the show play me some WOLFSTONE…I’ll paint my face blue like Braveheart Mel and run thru the show with a sword swashbuckling and preparing the show attendees for Battle of the economy

ITS ABOUT FREEDOM…AAAARRRgggghhhhh!

Tom M

David, admit it, you just said Horton because of “North to Alaska.”

Not that there’s anything wrong with that!

By the way #1: I heard NRBQ do that tune every year at the Agora West in West Hartford for 7 years running. They’d always play that one.

By the way #2: I have one of those, but like an idiot I wired it up instead of nylon. Back then I didn’t know that some guitars were made for steel, some nylon. If you want it, I can try to send it up. Other than the warp in the soundboard, it’s pretty solid.

David Gerard

Gene,  I don’t know any heavy metal stuff but I I love listening to the guitarist from  “Evanesence” play heavy metal on acoustic guitar,  that guy is good!
    I think you and my bro would get along great,  he love heavy metal, especialy when the girls sing  he says  ”They’re pissed”

Tom,  I thinks it’s still against the law for you to read my mind.

This gitter came with metal flat wound archtop strings.  Like yours though….no truss rod.  The neck on this was made of poplar and man!   did it have a bow in it.   I  reset the tone bars today inbetween glue ups on a top job (and FN)

I have the recording of “North to AK”  don’t they draw the tune from a selection  out of a hat?  Totaly add libbed and improv.   Love that band!   

Tom M

Yep, but it’s always North To Alaska. Don Adams, Terry’s brother (the guy that plays trumpet) usually sang it.

Seeing them open and back up Jerry Lee Lewis was one of the highlights of my concert experiences.

Terry and Jerry riffing together? Oh Man!

You’re right, that guitar has one heck of a neck. My neck wasn’t bowed so much as the arch tiop. Sad. Really sad.

Do you think it is fixable?

Gene, I am so glad I got you on that Wolfstone kick. They are great. You should check out the Proclaimers as well. The song from Trainspotting (5000 miles?) is great, as is cap in hand:

“We fight, when they ask us.
    We boast, then we cower.
    We beg for a piece of
    What’s already (ready) what’s already (ready)
    What’s already ours.

I can’t understand why we’d let someone else rule our land, cap in hand.”

David Gerard

Tom,  last time I looked at their site I saw they no longer have Terry Andersen the guitar player.   Is that true 

I won the “Kick Me Hard “album at the  Goshen fair one year,  shooting or something like that.   I need to find a turntable so I can get all those albums out and listen to them.

Tha Proclaimers   oh ya!   “i wanna be I wanna be”

So your Silvertone is an arch top?  If so I should have been able to support steel strings.   If the top warpped maybe the tone bars let loose which means , yes it should be repairable but…  it’s major surgery.  The glue used was junk for sure.   Post some pics some time.   If you know the serial# you can look it up on a Harmony Guitar site and learn the model and year made.  I guess Harmony made Silvertone for Sears,  some models were made by Stella,   I think.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.