Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Norm Walters

Posted By Kelsey Crisp on 24 Sep 2011 04:25 PM

Posted By Andy Graves on 22 Sep 2011 06:52 PM
    Kelsey,

I disagree. Tight corners are a place for a crack to start and with the cooktop being so tight, it is more likely to happen than if the opening was cut bigger.

Fabrication guidelines clearly state there should be radii in the corners. Why would a consumer accept a cutout with square corners? It doesn’t even meet the minimum requirements.

Andy

Andy, so you are telling the homeowner to go ahead and except the risk of the top breaking by trying to fix this himself ?

Read what i said Andy, if it is undercut, trying to drill it is pointless.

Trying to drill a hole in the very corner would be next to impossible . 

My guess is even a square cut piece of quartz is still a thousand times stronger than a piece of “square” cut solid surface.

Drill a hole in a piece of wood the same size as the boring bit you want to use in the corner. Clamp the piece of wood in the corner and use it as a template.

KCWOOD

Norm, are you telling the homeowner to work on his own top too?

To fix what is not broken?

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

I am suggesting he gets holes drilled in the corners by another fabricator that know what he is doing. Doing as Norm suggested with a template will make perfect radius in the corners and will prevent it from cracking.

Hoping it won’t crack seems a little dangerous to me. Countertop should last 20 years, why start off with crap?

KCWOOD

Posted By Andy Graves on 24 Sep 2011 08:20 PM

I am suggesting he gets holes drilled in the corners by another fabricator that know what he is doing. Doing as Norm suggested with a template will make perfect radius in the corners and will prevent it from cracking.

Hoping it won’t crack seems a little dangerous to me. Countertop should last 20 years, why start off with crap?

Geez, lets get back to reality here.

What fabricator is going to go behind someone else and try to make square cuts round?
    Show me square corners that are not undercut. If it is undercut justba little, cant be fixed.
    What homeowner is going spend a few hundred dollars to get a third partyninvolved.

i still stand behind my initial response. This top is backed by the Silestone name and the customer needs to bring them in the loop as to what one of their approved fabricators did.

Norm/Andy.. Question. If the hole is drilled and the top breaks, who then does the customer turn to for warranty?

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Silestone probably doesn’t cover fabrication and installation. Fixing the corners is easy. A company like Back to Perfection would come in and drill the corners with a diamond bit. It is actually very simple. The flange of the cooktop will cover the radii.

Karl Crooks

We see Quartz and Granite counters cracking all the time…..

– Cracks at cut out corners
    – Cracks at cut out sides
    – Cracks at dog leg seams
    – Cracks at regular seams
    – Cracks at inside corners
    – Cracks at edge build ups
    – Etc, Etc, Etc ……

It cracks me up when people say a counter top material will not crack, when we all know that diamonds crack.

If this cut out has, square corners and or the cook top is a tight fit, and the cook top is used as normal from what we have seen its only a matter of time. Its always best to follow the manufactures written guild lines.

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

Karl,

Would a company like yours go out to a customer to remedy this type of situation?

Karl Crooks

Posted By Andy Graves on 26 Sep 2011 01:50 PM

Karl,

Would a company like yours go out to a customer to remedy this type of situation?

Yes we resolve issues with bad Fab / Install every day, its one of the many things that we do.

Posted By Kelsey Crisp on 25 Sep 2011 10:21 AM
    This top is backed by the Silestone name and the customer needs to bring them in the loop as to what one of their approved fabricators did.

Kelsey:

This top is backed by the Silestone name and warranty when it is fabricated and installed per their instructions. This top is not fabricated with radiused corners and is therefore out of warranty, loop, schmoop.

Far from being “impossible”, drilling out the corners would be crazy easy. Hot melt a scrap in the corner and freehand ’em. Geesh.

Joe

P.S.:

I’d knock the meanness of the edges and tape ’em just for good measure.

KCWOOD

Posted By Karl Crooks on 26 Sep 2011 11:14 AM

– Etc, Etc, Etc ……

It cracks me up when people say a counter top material will not crack, when we all know that diamonds crack.

If this cut out has, square corners and or the cook top is a tight fit, and the cook top is used as normal from what we have seen its only a matter of time. Its always best to follow the manufactures written guild lines.

Karl, since you are now refering to this as comedy hour for your amusement..lets do a what if? you get to the job and the bottom is undercut both directions to make that square cut.
    You: Still charge the customer the $hundreds$ for showing up or what?

KCWOOD

Posted By Kowboy on 27 Sep 2011 10:39 PM

Posted By Kelsey Crisp on 25 Sep 2011 10:21 AM
    This top is backed by the Silestone name and the customer needs to bring them in the loop as to what one of their approved fabricators did.

Kelsey:

This top is backed by the Silestone name and warranty when it is fabricated and installed per their instructions. This top is not fabricated with radiused corners and is therefore out of warranty, loop, schmoop.

Far from being “impossible”, drilling out the corners would be crazy easy. Hot melt a scrap in the corner and freehand ’em. Geesh.

Joe

P.S.:

I’d knock the meanness of the edges and tape ’em just for good measure.

Joe, thats an interesting concept.
    Silestone only has approved dealer network, but if it ever gets fabricated wrong, Silestone has no suitability warranty to the end user.

So basically your stance is Silestone doesn’t care about the customer, doesn’t care about how it is fabricated, and will never stand behind their product.

Posted By Kelsey Crisp on 28 Sep 2011 08:09 PM
    Joe, thats an interesting concept.
    Silestone only has approved dealer network, but if it ever gets fabricated wrong, Silestone has no suitability warranty to the end user.

So basically your stance is Silestone doesn’t care about the customer, doesn’t care about how it is fabricated, and will never stand behind their product.

Kelsey:

It is obvious from your post that you have no clue as to how solid surface (yes, engineered stone is solid surface) manufacturer warranties work.

Silestone, like DuPont, says to its approved fabricators: “Thou shalt fabricate according to the holy book. Failure to fabricate to scripture will result in failure. When we get a call of a failure and determine that it is fabricator error, the fabricator will get a chance to make amends. If the fabricator fails to make amends and makes us eat it, his approval shall be revoked.”

It’s simple really. And easily enforced.

Joe

P.S.:

As for your argument, you may want to read this.

Karl Crooks

Posted By Kelsey Crisp on 28 Sep 2011 07:50 PM

Posted By Karl Crooks on 26 Sep 2011 11:14 AM

– Etc, Etc, Etc ……

Karl, since you are now refering to this as comedy hour for your amusement..lets do a what if? you get to the job and the bottom is undercut both directions to make that square cut.
    You: Still charge the customer the $hundreds$ for showing up or what?

If the customer is willing we simply repair the issues, but you already knew that yes ?

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

I say fix it before it becomes an issue. Sure it may cost a hundred bucks or so, but that is small price to pay for a cooktop that is cutout correctly.

Lighter

U should tryout this guys http://www.naturstein-profi.com/
    I purchased mine Countertop with them like years ago and am fully satisfied

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.