Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

I did these doors about three years ago whith Chemetal Laminates, I Knew they were going outside i wouldnt warranty them, But I did something very taboo to most…We sprayed them with that primer etch spray to give it a tooth without sanding and then hit it with some strong UV sealer….they are still in good condition…of course the sunlight never hits it…

has anyone ever put laminate exterior in the sunlight??? or outdoor kitchens etc with maybe waterproof plywood or something?

sorry for the bad film, I will take a better picture this week

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

That entrance looks pretty well protected.

Are all those pieces seperate and glued together.  Seems like the water would get in between the pieces.

Looks pretty cool though.  Typical Florida design.

They are seamed up together like a normal ct..but then the top aluminum frame is sealed with Silicone to hide and seal the seams

to me it looked like tony Montana scarface house..it was cool the money they paid for those Laminated doors were crazy

Speaking of doors Andy Check this set out…Avonite with chemetal aluminum. mahogany and more brushed aluminum with a white maple trim.. the bottom metal stuck to soon to the contact on me and heat pulled it up then relayed it and you can kinda see it at the bottom…but the customer was happy…

I miss laminate

Andy Graves
    Keymaster

I wouldn’t know where to start on a job like that.

How do you quote a job like that?

2% of the estimated value of the home or 2% of their annual Household income ( check online for personal info)

or you can just Material times x 4…first you hafta have a meeting of the minds to find out what the interests are and favorites..

for example this guy loves Star Trek and they were the doors to the Home theater…after you proposed the bid and get it…then you go on your material search….Im sure you have peices of SS lieing around…then you just curve the ends and start visualizing shapes….if it helps put on some Pink Floyd and picture floating in outer space these smileys work well with that visual

hehehehe…anyway try to make a set for your showroom doors…then submit the picture to all the Home theater companies just like we submit our CTs to cabinetmakers

Wags

Gene your a true artist, beautiful work. Problem we have here in Az with laminate and contact adhesive, it gets too hot. I had a customer that recovered a trailer full of slot machines with laminate. The ones with the rounded top. Loaded them in a trailer, delivered them a few days later and all the laminate had delaminated from the heat. In fact, one distributor had a shipment of rolled melamine (paper with hot melt on the back basically) it was black, when they took delivery the whole roll had fused togather from the heat in the trailer. The hot melt had a reactive point of bout 180 degrees. Gets a tad warm here….but it is a dry heat……much like a commercial convection oven 🙂

Thanks Wags…I did hear stories rom the other magazines i read Like about Arizona will delaminate your countertop if its designed near windows…..just got take that into cosideration, installers probaly cant use an open truck to deliver SS either I would suppose….Thermoforming on the way to the jobsite….

I had a small top had people in hurry for and needed to place oudoors. As in next day deal. Well i did not have enough of any SS to make it for them so I told them can de it with laminate peice MDF and no gaurantees to how long it would last. It came back about two weeks later after we hit a couple 100 degree days. You could tell where the umbrella covered from direct sunlight by the delamination started and ended.

Wgas,

Whatta they do for adhearing the laminate down with in those cases then?

Tom M

Reuben,
    The new PVa(C?) type glues will work, but you need to set up a press for it.
    Carpenters glue (ditto the press)
    We use National Casein #705 glue (and hot press it – bakes the urea-formaldehyde out).

Understand, contact cement is only used because of it’s convenience for on site and gravity-defying characteristics. Lots of glue will adhere laminate to a wood substrate.

Feed me, Seymore Feed Me. I wants to learn more about this press stuff or I will uh well i do not know what I will do.

David Gerard

Why is it the after removing old laminate from  ply the glue seams tacky or greasy?  Is there something in the ply that does this.  When I incounter a delam I can guess that it was on ply.

KevinRoss

You can use fiberglass or even steel doors if you does not like wooden doors. Mostly used as Fiberglass Entry Doors Toronto, these doors prove to be the best choice for installation as well as replacement purpose to keep safe from sunlight and also bad or harsh weather conditions.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.